1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Random oscillating on circles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bruce K, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Bruce K

Bruce K New Member

I'm new to 3d printing and Robo 3D R1 Plus. I've had the printer a little over a week now and have been getting great parts. After searching most places, and not finding a similar problem, here is my first question. When running circles, as small as .25" diameter to 2" diameter, sometimes it prints smooth and others it will oscillate or jerk the print head just on the outside or inside line. This leaves a rough edge on the part. It seems to be software.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Possibly a loose belt. Remember that we dont have deltas, circles wont be perfect but can look ok.

3. Bruce K

Bruce K New Member

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time using any forums, I'm so used to talking about problems or solutions, that getting my question out clearly is new to me. My issue is the perimeter lines are smooth and many times the first of 2 or 3 lines of the part are also smooth. Then the print head will slow the travel speed and seem to try to fill or follow a very small non circular movement. The belts and every thing look good. I had just finished a 5 hour print with 9ea .25"D holes and one 1"D hole. The part is 7" diameter and 1.5" tall. It ran perfect. I needed the 1" hole just a little larger, to fit a rod. I made a small sample drawing in 123d Design with a 1.05 hole through a 2" diameter by 1" tall disc. This is where the problem appeared.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That does sound like a odd toolpath created by the slicer. Which one do you use ? Can you share a photo of the defect ?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and welcome ! Be sure to do an introduction on that section of the forum so you can be properly greeted and welcomed ! :)

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Also, all FDM materials change size when extruded. Some shrink and some swell so if you cad up a perfect 20mm hole it will not be 20mm when printed. I usually accept this and expect it and then bore/drill them out to the exact size.

7. Bruce K

Bruce K New Member

I just redrew the sample part and it is working great. I'm using MatterSlice. So you think it is in the slicer and not the 123d design cad software? This is all new to me, I have worked with cnc plasma tables, this software is so much more involved. I just sit and stare at the printer and am amazed how nicely things come out.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The slicer is what turns your cad work into something printable. Every one will be different. The free ones are mostly good, but some work quite well on one type of model and will fail on another.

When you out grow them try Simplify3D :)
    They have a money-back trial period if you need it.

9. Bruce K

Bruce K New Member

Thanks I am working with esun black petg. On my second spool and the parts are turning out very nice. I am working on what dimensions to put in the drawing to end up with the correct holes in the finished part. The .5 rod is oversized and reamers are expensive.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If do like mark and use a drill to open up tha holes :) cant speak for that cad softwsre. Check out fusion 360 if you want to try some other ones. Free for hobbyist

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of the materials (PLA, ABS, PET, PETG, Various Nylons, PolyCarbonate, etc) all of them :) have either some shrink or some swell when printed. You can with experimentation get a good idea for precisely how much that will be and then just adapt your models for it, or accept it and clean it up after the fact.

Bear in mind that if they absorb water from the air (PLA and nylon are the worst at this) that the print properties will alter somewhat and that can be annoying.

Keep your filament stored long-term in a dry environment (for example store it sealed with desiccant) and you will be happier.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just to throw in a few more bits of info, Slic3r has the option to adjust hole sizes to be more exact within the slicer settings. I can't remember is MatterControl allows Slic3r as a slicing engine. The author seems to be still fixing code but there hasn't been a major release in over a year. But that is typical in this space (S3d hasn't had an real upgrades since 3.0.2 in Sept 2015, 3.10 basically added printers).

Here is an excerpt from the online Slic3r manual
    More information on dimensional errors can be found here.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.