1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Replaced RAMPS, now steppers are jumpy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aaroneus, May 21, 2017.

1. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

I'm trying to resurrect my R1 after not using it for a while. Last time it was working fine, then it wouldn't extrude on E0. Through toubleshooting, I narrowed it down to the RAMPS board: I swapped stepper drivers and motor outputs until I resolved that the motor worked on other outpots, and the driver worked on other outputs, but nothing worked on E0.

I had a spare Sainsmart RAMPS 1.4, so I carefully transferred every cable and driver over to it. So now all motors work, but they're jumpy. I use my controller to tell it to move 1mm, and it moves a small bit, but makes a medium-pitch noise. I tell Z-Axis to move 1mm, and it moves 5-10mm very quickly.

I *think* that I need to calibrate the A4988 stepper motor drivers, but I don't get much of a difference by adjusting them, and Vref is 400-500mV on all of them. I was very careful not to bump the potentionmeter when transferring them.

Could the new RAMPS be causing this, or is it something else?

2. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

SOLVED!
    I was browsing through the newest troubleshooting posts to see if I could lend a hand, and came across this post, which lead me to this post. I realized I didn't transfer the jumpers under the driver boards from the old to the new.

Thanks to @mark tomlinson and @Geof!

mark tomlinson likes this.