1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R1+ Hot end Replacement

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Fitz8773, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Fitz8773

Fitz8773 New Member

Hi all, the thermistor on my R1+ became detached for the heater block. It appears to have been held in place (from the factory) with epoxy, as opposed to inserted in the heater block. I've searched online for a complete hotend replacement but this model appears to be sold out, or possibly discontinued.

Is there a way to adhere the thermistor back to the heater block? I've contemplated upgrading to the E3D V6, but theres a lot of hoops to jump through & assembly is required, & honestly I'd just like to plug & play!! Thanks in advance

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The R1+ uses a cartridge style where the thermistor is effectively epoxied into a tube and that tube inserted into the heater block and held in place with an allen set screw. You can use some high-temp epoxy (https://smile.amazon.com/Permatex-80335-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer/dp/B000BOAZM8) to put it back into the cartridge or stick it back in the cartridge and put a few wraps of kapton tape (https://smile.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Polyimide-Temperature-Resistant-Multi-Sized/dp/B072Z92QZ2) around the heater block to hold it in place.

The older R1 just had a rubber boot that wrapped around the heater block and that held the thermistor in place so not much different than that really. the original beta used kapton tape...

Geof, Wesley Knapp and Fitz8773 like this.
  3. Fitz8773

Fitz8773 New Member

Great, thank you. I'd initially disconnected the hot end to clear a clog, then found myself up a creek when the thermistor disconnected..hopefully I can repair & be back up & running soon!!

Wesley Knapp likes this.