1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Robo R1+ Print Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tilrico, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

So I have had the Robo R1+ for a few months now. I have been printing on nearly something nearly every day. Today cleaning the Print bed I noticed a small scratch/nick. I've been very careful because on a few reviews of this printer this has been a common issue but now I'm a bit disappointed now that I have the same problem.

I seriously doubt this small scratch will affect my prints (maybe .25 - .5mm mm scratch) but is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse? Is replacing the print bed after so many prints common? Should I buy some sort of disposable surface so I'm not spending 75 bucks replacing beds? Do I just do nothing until its bad enough to affect my prints then get a disposable surface? Better yet, do I just always print on a raft and not care.

FYI this is my first printer and I am really enjoying it just want to stay ahead of the curve.

Edit:
    Maybe something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Athorbot-Printing-Surface-CR-10S-printer/dp/B073TW738G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523851321&sr=8-4&keywords=3d+print+surface&dpID=51IZ%2Bbb-SdL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

#1 Tilrico, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Get a pack of polyamide sheets, then use a little tape on the sides to hold one sheet in place.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can use binder clips or something to hold a thin sheet of normal window glass/picture frame class (1/8" thick) on top of the existing bed. A few dollars at your local hardware store, lasts a long time, toss if it gets scratched. Unlike borosilicate it will not chip normally. Get it cut tot he size you need or use a standard (but smaller sized) one

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What Mark said, Borosilicate glass is one of those 3D printer buzzwords that some manufacturers think will help them sell more printers, even I fell for it when I first started out. But after a few chips in my R1 bed, I went to Lowes Home Improvement and had an $8 piece of picture frame glass cut to the same size as the bed (easier to attach) and then went to the Dollar Store and bought a bag of Binder clips. Attach the glass to the bed with the clips on the ends then remove the little wire so it doesn't get in the way. There you go new glass bed.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

@WheresWaldo
    Do you have the exact size you cut it to?

Once I place it on top how do I set my Z axis correctly? I assume I need a new offset.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Automatic bed leveling will tap the glass then stop so there's no need to manually change any settings for the thickness of the bed glass.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Mine was cut to the size of the current bed, I don't recall the measurements I think 10.5 x 15 inches, but double check.

Just so you know, Home Depot will not cut glass (at least in my area) Lowes Home Improvement will.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bed is 10" x 15" (officially) take a tape measure to it :)

WheresWaldo likes this.
  9. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

Thank you all for your responses and help. I'll give this a try once I have a few more dings in the original print bed.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I used float glass for a long time, recently have switched my R1 units to PEI from @Printed Solid and currently loving it. (just placed the PEI directly over the chipped beds) it comes cut to size (a little trimming required if you want to) with the adhesive on the back already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.