1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3D C2 Raspberry Pi image file

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by dmerlin7, Jan 5, 2017.

1. dmerlin7

dmerlin7 New Member

Hi there ROBO community.

I've had my new C2 since Dec 23rd and on the 24th it attempted to update to OctoPi 1.3 and failed it's install which resulted in a command prompt on the C2 display at restart. After several hours attempting to restart the sever I installed my version of Octoprint that I have been using on my R1 Plus. I have 2 Case numbers for the file location to download the Robo OS but have not gotten any response other then the auto response email.

Other then that the print quality is very good, I did have trouble getting the prints to stick on the platform but a quick trip to our local Ace Hardware fixed that issue with a 5 3/4" square piece of glass and spay adhesive and a glue stick, no problems since. I also put a temporary micro SD to SD extender cable so I can easily make changes to the Pi firmware. Currently working on display firmware changes as I have a 5" display I will be installing.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck.
    There are very few folks who actually have a C2 in the user community at present.
    Hopefully one of them can assist.

If not you will need to get in touch with Robo HQ

dmerlin7 likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You didn't make a copy of the original RPi OS image. I am looking for one too, I wanted to see what they changed. Robo had an earlier image on GITHUB that @danzca6 found but they have since pulled that repository. Since Robo will need to comply with GPL licensing if you ask for the source of what they are calling RoboOS they will need to provide it.

From what I saw on the original image there was very little to no Robo created code, the bulk were Robo modified sources of multiple other forked repositories, Alexa, nconnectd, kivy, OctoPrint, even the robotheme is a modified fork of Vovel8 and they are all OSS.

The iOS app is different and may be a sub-contracted programming project.

#3 WheresWaldo, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Geof, dmerlin7 and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I wonder if @Keith70 could provide a copy of the rpi image he has on his C2? I saw that they came out with a new Octopi version and wondered if anyone would attempt to install on their C2. Robo has spliced so much together like @WheresWaldo mentioned that they will need to define an upgrade path for newer versions of Octopi. Man that stinks this happened right after getting the unit. Hopefully we can get a clean image for you to reload soon.

5. dmerlin7

dmerlin7 New Member

It was on my radar to make a backup of the image but at the time I did not realize the front bezel came off for access. Not that big of a deal, I have been working with the RPi for a long time and have been running Octoprint on my R1 Plus since August. They do however have some features that I do like and others I'd like to modify, that's why I am needing the image / source files.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They would (hopefully) make it available at the same place they have the firmware for the others.
    That makes the most sense.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Better if they just put it on GITHUB as a repository, then others could contribute and it would be better organized there. But like you say, they don't appear to like software.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an excellent suggestion :)

More I think that they really don't have a software savvy person in the loop than that they just don't like it.

9. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I burned an out-of-box image of my C2's microSD. Since the printer's name is part of that image, I should probably mount the image, rename it to something generic and then put it on something like github as a reference. Let me know.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just keep it in a handy place for now :)
    Maybe in a GDrive or OneDrive account with a shared folder you can send to someone if they need access.

They (Robo HQ) are supposed to be getting things sorted so that you can quickly get an image from them, but I am waiting to see if that really happens.

11. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I just bought four 4GB microSD's (just back from Fry's) so I'll restore to one, edit the hostname to "robo-c2", burn the image a second time and upload that to github with a README. I'll end up burning another image of my own rig now that I've updated (before adding the camera upgrade) but could upload that, too.

mark tomlinson likes this.