1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Rough bottom

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bd182, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Bd182

Bd182 Member

My prints have begun to exhibit a contrasting rough and glass smooth bottom. Any idea what causes this? Perhaps the first layer peels off and stays stuck to the hairspray in some places? Why would that be?

RoughBottomb.jpg

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd start by cleaning your bed and reapplying your hairspray/glue/whatever you use. Then watch the first layer (snap a few photos of it before layer 2 starts) and upload here. That will be the real "tell". Based off the photos I'd say your z offset/autolevel is a bit wonky, but I wouldn't start troubleshooting off that one photo- really need one of the first layer as its being put down :D

Could also do with some more information about your settings- like what speed, temp, fan speed etc

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Member

These are just my immediate thoughts:

Do you clean the hairspray off after every print so each new print is a fresh application? If this is a new symptom and you used to have perfectly glass bottoms? If so, then somethings to consider are it could be a sign of either hairspray build up or beginnings of nozzle build up.

Does the print look okay everywhere else: sides and top?

Assuming your bed is still level, try these ideas to see if helps: wiping down bed with alcohol to assure a fresh clean bed to start (get off any old build up), check hairspray bottle’s nozzle isn’t getting build up of residue (run the hairspray spray nozzle tip under hot water for a few & wipe with acetone or alcohol to be sure it has a clear patent exit providing an even coat of spray), consider your spray technique for applying an even coat, consider getting a fresh new bottle of hairspray, examine the printer’s nozzle (does the nozzle have filament build up on the exterior that could be manually removed? Do final top layers of something flat have an uneven surface as well? Try a test print of something with a decent sized flat top surface like a large test cube. How old is your printer nozzle? Consider swapping in a brand new nozzle.)

If all that doesn’t resolve then try printing the same object for only the first few layers on multiple zones at once spread around the print bed to see if it’s only occurring in a specific few spots constantly or find or design a custom print that checks complete bed levelness. Will this occur in the same spots on the bed regardless of what object you print? Consider you glass bed might be an issue to exam further.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.