1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

S3D V4 Variable Settings Wont Send Temp Changes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoshYourITGuy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

Simplify3D, V4
    I am trying to do a temp tower to play with an off-brand HIPS to see what temp it likes.
    Used the Variable Settings Wizard, I have my 10 processes, each starts and stops where it should.
    The issue is that although the temps are changed in the processes, the GCODE only shows the original M104 and ending M104 commands, it doesnt change temp between layers.

Anyone have V4 willing to replicate? (Just slice anything up, change temps in new processes, look at GCODE for M104's)

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I control temp changes through the temp for layer. Never tried with variable settings because I believe that wizard only applies to layer height and infill. Nothing with temp or fans etc.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The wizard does not directly address temps, but (if curious) look over parts of this video.

Jump to about the 10 min point, he compares v3 versus v4.

14.30 is about where he gets specifically into it for the wizard and such.

Ultimately you can create the layer split processes, but you manually have to set the temperatures on those processes.
    Maybe this is what you did and it is still not working? Are you selecting all the processes when you go to "prepare to print"?

[note: as a presenter he is not the worlds greatest and does tend to have minor topic drift in spots, but not hideous... still some folks like video better]

4. JoshYourITGuy

Yes, I went through each process and modified the temp, but it is not reflected in the GCODE.
    For now, I just manually edited the GCODE by adding M104's at the start of each process (it adds a comment saying the process name, so it at least recognizes that side of things). And yes, selecting all.

Looks like a glitch, or maybe S3D is not made to do temp changes per process? Other changes per process still work (infill, support, etc) just not tamp changes. Oh well, modifying the GCODE manually is not ideal, but it does work.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you select all processes in the prepare to print?
    I tried it here with just three and they worked as expected (well the GCode did, I didn't print it)

6. JoshYourITGuy

Yes, let me clear the whole thing out and reload the model and re-split it.