1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Size of bed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanfish, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well yeah i looked at my printer and i could accomplish the same thing by just putting something in between the Y rod and the Y bracket. I could maybe gain 1/4" by recessing where the Y limit switch hits but probably not worth it. I'm going to put a couple nuts in there to space it out for a little extra travel.

Thanks for the link to the heating pads, that's exactly what i need i think. I'm going to order one 235mmx275mm 12v 200 watts for my stock printer and then around 235mmx385mm for my larger printer and go ahead and cut the Y axis rods down to about 15" of travel. On the bigger one would i still want to go with 200 watts? I really need these to be reliable so waiting a bit longer to heat up isn't a big deal.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you want much more go with a larger power supply. External P/S and you could go huge, internal ones that replace the stock one are available to a somewhat higher wattage (I have seen 350w). Not sure how high.

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

External sounds like the way to go. Do you have any links? I have no idea what to look for. I'm going to go ahead and order the smaller heating pad now and then figure out power for the larger one before i order it.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

On the bigger one, 200 or 250 watts won't make a difference towards reliability. The determining factor being just how big your power supply is. The Meanwell 12v - 360W PS is about the same physical size as the one in the Robo, most Chinese power supplies are clones of the Meanwell (with varying degrees of precision). 360 watts is plenty to drive anything below a 300 watt heater. I thought the Robo used a Chinese clone at 300 watts but I could be wrong. If it's only 300 watts then the a 200 watt heater may be easier on the power supply. The only compromise within the power consumption restraint will be speed of heating, and only heating up. Maintaining a temp requires minimal power and cooling afterward requires none.

5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Also, is there anywhere in the US to get a custom heating pad made? I would like it asap. I decided to go with 235x300mm @ 200 watts 12v for the stock power supply and then i'll look into a larger power supply with a 300watt heating pad once i figure the stock one out and get it working.

Crazy how much you can modify these things.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you really want prompt heaters.. go to a 24v supply. You need a minor 12v adapter for the RAMPS/Arduino but the heaters (most of them) can deal with 24v and will work a lot better/faster. Check the specs.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Unfortunately, for US suppliers, no one can beat what AliRubber is doing, each and every one is custom and they are cheaper than anyone in the US.

As far as wattage goes, I don't even think the Default Robo heater is 200 watts. I believe @Mike Kelly mentioned that it is only a 110 watt heater, so it will be faster to heat up.

9. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Dang, i have a high dollar 12.75" long print i need to get out within a week or so. Any suggestions for rigging something up to heat the whole bed? I'm going to cut my 8mm linear rods down to make about 13.5-14 " of Y travel and hope i can get this to work. I have the heater from my other printer available, would it be possible to wire both of them up for now? Would i just wire one thermistor up and could the P/S handle both heaters? Don't really want to pass on this job but afraid i'll have to if i have to wait on a custom heater.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Well just sent an email to get a quote and ETA on two different heaters so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully i can get this all figured out. I broke another plate because I cranked up the heat on my last large print and was too impatient removing it from my PEI bed once it cooled.. dumb move i know. need to figure out how to get my prints to release better.

#29 Nathanfish, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish If breaking glass plates is going to be an ongoing issue for you, I might suggest an alternative bed material. I am not going to say Aluminum either, although that would be a good choice, but there are better solutions. If you have your own table saw, or someone who does, then a large sheet of G-11 Epoxy Glass Laminate Board is the answer. In large sheets you will have many beds so you can be as impatient as you want, break as many as you want.. They are stronger than the glass beds, distribute heat better than glass, are perfectly flat and are very rigid. With G-11 you don't need to add something like PEI to the bed as it has superior adhesion properties than glass. Remember to use the smooth surface as you build surface. Of course you can find suppliers that will custom cut, but 4' x 8' sheets would yield a butt load of beds (I don't want to actually do the math here).

You must make sure it is G-11 not G-10, You can also substitute FR5 as it is a fire retardant version of G-11.

What Is G-11 Material?
    G-11 FR-5 is a thermosetting industrial fibre glass composite laminate consisting of a continuous filament glass cloth material with an epoxy resin binder. This product, first introduced in the 1950's, has characteristics of high strength, low moisture absorption, excellent electrical properties and chemical resistance. These properties are maintained not only at room temperature but also under humid or moist conditions. NEMA G11 was the designation given to Glass Epoxy sheet composite by the National Electrical Manufacture Association (NEMA) to specify a consistent product between manufactures.

11. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Great suggestions, i really haven't even thought about a different material than glass to use. I'll do some shopping for G-11. I have access to Mic 6 aluminum plate here at work. What thickness do you think would work best? I'm guessing 1/2" is probably too thick but 1/4 seems pretty thin, maybe 5/16"? Right now since glass is working for me and is only causing me problems on larger prints spending $11 hasn't been a problem. It's only the second one i've broke and i wasn't being careful with it. Cost aside, what would be the best material to use?

I went ahead and ordered 2 silicon heaters, even though he hasn't billed me for them. He told me it would be a week but i'm a little skeptical. went with 12v 200watt 240mm x 300mm and 240mm x 370mm. Hopefully that's what i need and i'm not going to brick my P/S or anything.

OK i take that back, 1/4" is probably what i need. I'm going to go ahead and get one cut today and try it out with PEI. Don't know why i never thought of that.

#31 Nathanfish, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish As I am building my second printer I went with MIC-6 but I will use glass plate on the top. If Glass is the only bed material, I don't think standard cheap (buy it from Lowes) float glass is a good choice. Borosilicate glass would be better, but it ain't $11! A piece of float glass on top of your MIC-6 plate may be the final answer as you can then have removeable build plates. Float glass even as thin as 0.125" would work great since it's fully supported by the Aluminum. My bed has a supported area of 15" x 15" so I went with 0.250", but with the Robo I would think that even 0.125" Mic-6 would be plenty stiff, or something in-between. Don't forget to buy a bunch of neodymium magnets* to epoxy at each corner.

For everyone else, MIC-6 is the correct choice as it is cast and milled flat, other aluminum is made in rolls and flattened after the fact (no guarantee of flatness).

*Links:
    For screwing in something like these: http://www.banggood.com/50pcs-N50-D-103mm-Strong-Ring-Magnet-3mm-Countersunk-Hole-p-940059.html
    For epoxying on: http://www.banggood.com/20pcs-N52-S...mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-p-998141.html

Where did you eventually order the heaters from?

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I should also mention, do not make the bed too heavy as you are then relying on the electronics and motor torque to stop the inertia of fast moves of the bed. Increased mass means more inertia, means more current may be needed to stop the darn thing.

14. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I just found a spare piece of 1/4" MIC 6 i'm going to buy and i think i'm going to go with PEI on top of that instead of glass. I've had pretty good luck with PEI and i think with the Mic 6 at least i won't crack anything getting larger prints off. Just need to put a connector on my heater so i can pull everything off easily if i need to.

I ordered the heaters from Sivia at Aliexpress like you linked. He emailed me back within a couple minutes last night. Still haven't received a paypal invoice yet though.

I was pretty nervous with the weight of my 10" x 25" x 1/4" glass so i'm going to go with 10" x 19" piece of mic 6 for my larger printer.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I believe Sivia is a she.

0.250" will make a pretty stout bed. I am still going to do the glass on top as it gives me easily removeable build plates without disconnecting the heater. In the RC world we use Anderson PowerPoles or Amass XT60 connectors. More than sufficient for carrying the heated bed load.

16. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

oh good to know.

Yeah having removable build plates would be a good idea but not a big deal for me to have to wait for parts to cool.

Just found out this aluminum plate isn't Mic 6 and i'd have to order a whole 4x8 sheet to get it in 1/4"

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

18. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Thanks i might get a quote. I can get this .250 aluminum for $2 a lb so maybe i'll just try this out for now.

19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

well i found 2ea 19"x10"x.250" cat6 plates for 123.49 shipped. I'll just cut the one down to 15" or so. decent price?

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish I think I paid $42 for a single 15 x 15 ATP-5 (Vista Metals trade name of Alcoa's trade name for MIC-6), That included shipping. So that seems reasonable.