1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Size of bed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanfish, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Could i get someone to measure the size of the glass bed quick? I'm at work and need to try to get a new one cut tonight.

Thanks!!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

which version of the printer?

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Oh it's just the R1, i can't seem to find the actual bed size online anywhere.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Thank you very much!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10"x15.125" to be specific

7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

ok thanks. Good idea to get it cut a little long anyways, I'm going to call them when they open and have them cut it at 15.25" to see if i can extend it just a bit. I have a part that only fits if i don't print a skirt. That close. Hopefully I should be able to shim out the front and rear Y axis brackets to gain at least .100" each direction.

Thanks again guys

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Big-Assed tape measure and old eyes :)

Looked close at 15

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That 1/8 inch won't make any difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Yeah it shouldn't, I actually measured my other one when i got home and it looked like it was right at 15". I'm going to go with 16" and try to shim out the Y Brackets as far as i can. I have had a few prints that i have to design to fit so every little bit helps.

Now thinking about it more, Has anyone redesigned the Y brackets to make them wider but still use the stock Y axis Rods to gain a little travel? Not sure where the brackets actually hit at but might be a good upgrade, i might see what i can design.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Making the plate bigger won't affect build dimensions unless you move the endstops also. It will still be 8.7 x 10, and don't forget that the heated area is even smaller. If you want more Y, It would be much simpler to just replace both 8 mm rails with slightly longer ones, no redesign necessary.

You still have the issue of no heat on the ends of the build area.

#11 WheresWaldo, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In theory, with external power, you could lengthen the bed and have two heating pads.
    Just don't try that with the stock power supply.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

But @mark tomlinson, honestly, if you are going through the trouble of replacing the glass, why not have a custom sized heater pad made. Here is a good source: Shenzhen Ali Brother Technology Co., Ltd.

Just use the contact link and ask Sivia for a specific size, wattage, voltage, etc. They will custom make the heater pad for you. I ordered one from them and had it in two weeks.

This way there is no issue removing and possibly damaging the original pad, and you get the added benefit of heating the entire build area.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good idea.
    If you were to side-by-side two pads the 'gap' would be small, but sure -- if you are going custom -- go custom.
    (The old pads are easy enough to safely remove, but I like 'why bother' as an answer)

If you want a larger build area then building it out custom is certainly the best approach. I was merely pointing out the cheaper one (and cheaper is almost always not the best answer).

15. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have extended one of my printers to 19" with different 8mm Y axis rods but it's so big that i want to have a second plate to put in when i don't need to go that big. I'm eventually going to cut my rods down to make it 17" because it gets pretty shaky all the way out. The reason i'm getting another plate cut is because i actually cracked my original plate using Buildtak and a large print..

I'm working on new Y brackets and i really think i can work around the end stops and gain .5" on each end pretty easy. Just need to look at my printer and see where it's exactly hitting at and work around it.

I really need to look into getting a larger heating pad because i think that would help a ton with the curling i'm getting with PETG on the ends. Thanks for the link! If you have any more info on what you ordered that would be awesome. Are you using the stock P/S with it?

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I only knew all this stuff, researching my Eustathios build, but I am likely going to have to replace my Robo bed as the last time I printed ABS, when I pulled the part off a very small chip came off the build surface. Figured when it's time to replace (after a few more chips) I will also upgrade the heater to make full use of the build area. Will also go to 3/16" (4.76 mm) glass or maybe, if I am feeling flush, I will go 1/4" (6.35 mm).

17. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I went with 3/16 even though they quoted me 1/4 at the same price, 11 bucks. Just don't really think i need the extra thickness at 16". I just recently started printing straight on PEI and if you haven't tried it i highly recommend it. I'll never go back to anything else. No glue or anything. It's worked perfect for me other than not having heat at the far end of my build.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish what I ordered wasn't for the Robo, so I asked them to build me a 120v 325 mm square 500 watt pad, which is exactly what I got. For the Robo I would ask them for a 240 mm x whatever you end up with for length, 12 v, adhesive backed silicone rubber pad, 250 watts. That will cover the entire build area and only consume 21 Amps. You will no longer be able to heat up the bed and extruder at the same time. but the 30 amp PS will be enough to maintain the temperature. If you want to be safer, you could drop to 200 w, which will drop the load on the PS to 17 amps, during heat up. The compromise is slightly slower heating, but in either case much faster than the Robo supplied pad. By comparison the extruder only consumes 3.5 amps maximum.

$11 for borosilicate glass or plain float glass (window pane stuff)?

Tom Finzel likes this.
  19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Nice. Have you looked into an external P/S? I've just started researching all that. I'm going to definitely figure out what i need and order one for each of my printers. I think it's just window pane glass, i assumed that would be fine. Would there be an advantage to other kinds?

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Borosilicate glass (Pyrex was one name brand, pre-1998*) handles thermal shock better than float glass and can sustain longer periods at high temperatures without to much thermal induced size changes. Float glass not so much, but many makers use it and say it is perfectly fine. Plus you could likely buy 4 or 5 float glass panes for the price of one similarly sized borosilicate pane.

*Post-1998 the Pyrex brand name was sold to World Kitchens and they stopped making their stuff out of borosilicate glass and used the cheaper to manufacture tempered soda-lime glass instead.

A side note, Float glass has about 3 times the expansion rate of borosilicate @ 100°C, but we are speaking in terms of microns here; 9 microns vs 3.5 microns per square meter.

#20 WheresWaldo, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015