1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Software Ideas

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coby Robo 3D, May 7, 2013.

1. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey RoBo 3Ders!

One of the biggest flaws in 3d printing for us (so far), is the ease of use of software. The team over here at RoBo 3D headquarters is brainstorming if and how to make this better in all aspects.

If you can imagine your 3d printing software at its very best, what kind of things would you like to see?
    Simple user interface?
    What new features would you like?
    Closed or Open source?

What do you like about pronterface?
    What do you like about Repetier-Host?
    Have you used Makerware? If so, pros and cons?

Just a few questions off the top of my head. Let me know and I can pass it along to the guys and see what we can do. Thanks!

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Coby, I think a very simple user interface, like how Thinkercad was, but then also the advance features and such like Solidworks/Inventor Fusion 360. I think it would be great to be able to print within the application. I think Closed source would be best personally. I've never used either of those two softwares. I've never used makerware either.
    - HV

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

TOTAL WISH LIST
    *Simple interface
    *multiple file type compatiblity
    *a large source of prebuilt objects with adjustable parameters (screws nuts bolts 3d geometric shapes)
    *simple cut away - cut this object from this object
    *rotation of both objects and views
    *object hierarchy - change one part that was created earlier go back and change it changes reflected in final
    *exact XYZ positioning of objects option
    *reference positioning - place this in middle of this line, or center of the circle etc.
    *linear or circular array positioning
    *logical positioning that can be over ridden - get part close to edge of something else snaps to the exact edge
    *merging objects into a single object
    *smooth or auto fillet
    *measuring of objects
    *fonts as objects
    *viewable supports if they are going to be needed when being printed

You asked for things here is a list I like Harry's idea of printing from within the app

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Jeff's got some good suggestion. I've used Makerware, ReplicatorG(sailfish), and Cura to print with. I've played around with Repetier, but haven't actually configured it to work with my printers.

Makerware and Repetier have the nice feature of being able to add multiple objects. Makerware has that stupid conveyor thing in the background which screws everything else up so I stopped using it. Can't speak for newer versions.
    Repetier's viewing of the code is absolutely awesome (albeit sometimes deceiving)
    RepG is my workhorse. The most recent sailfish option allows it to handle large files, which is a must. I've been pretty surprised by the files that have choked earlier versions. Probably not the greatest program for people that just want to click and go, but a good poweruser program
    Cura is going more and more in the 'super easy to use' 'less clicks the better' direction.

I'd suggest keeping it open source. Make it easy for your user base to improve the code. I think MBI has really made out like bandits with the work that the sailfish team has done for them for free. You'll also be alienating a significant percentage of your user base if you close it.

I'd love to see some part slicing and boolean tools.

More customizable support options. i.e. minimum angle where support is printed. Perhaps even select surface of the part to tell the software NOT to print support there. I hate it when I slice a model and the software puts support in places where its really not needed or where its sort of needed but easy enough to repair.

Pause at z-height is a MUST.

detection and pause for filament jams

2 people like this.
  5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Printed's last two could only have come from someone who has printed previously but I could easily see the necessity of both