1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Solid Layer Print Roughness

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Vladuchick, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Vladuchick

So I'm entirely new at this. I've searched the forum here for help and have found LOTS. Thank you everyone for your wonderful input and help.

However, I have a few problems that I'm trying to solve and it's being problematic.

1. I seem to have an extrude calibration issue. When I print (with PLA), it appears all goopy with far too much material coming out of the nozzle. Yesterday I did a calibration thinking that was it, and in which I measured a 150 mm of filament, told the extruder to extrude me 100 mm and I was left with 51 mm. In order to get a decent print however, I need to turn my extruder multiplication factor to 0.73 which seems quite odd.

2. My first solid layers are REALLY rough. the nozzle is scraping over the part and is making all kinda of ruckus. After 5 or 8 layers the roughness goes away and it prints fine. Is that normal?

Thanks!
    paul

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It could be that the nozzle is oversized. I have some that are by a fair amount.
    If you have a micrometer, measure the size of the extruded filament. With a 0.4 nozzle it should be--0.4 :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

it tends to expand a bit after passing through a nozzle. I generally read .45-.5mm

5. Paul Vladuchick

Thanks Mike for your help. I really appreciate it.
    I have downloaded the 5mm calibration steps and will post photos when it's done.

6. Paul Vladuchick

Ok. I got some photos for you too look at. Also, for my own learning, I will try to diagnose the problem and you can tell me if I'm correct...

On to the photos.
    IMG_0079[1].JPG IMG_0081[1].JPG

The material is PLA
    Extrusion Temperature is 210 C
    The Bed Temperature is 75 C (using Hairspray for stickyness)
    Note: the cooling fan was NOT on during the bridges and thus why it is all droopy. (yes?)
    MatterSlice was used and a Z Offset was specified at 1.0 mm

Inside and Outside Permitters were at 80 mm/s (except when the slice size got really small, then the printer slowed down)
    Infill was printed at 80 mm/s with the same exceptions.

I have another one printing where the extrude temp was decreased to 200 C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could it just be possible that, on the larger pieces, 80 mm/s is just too fast?

paul

Attached Files:

#6 Paul Vladuchick, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One thing I see (IMG_0083[1].JPG, IMG_0085[1].JPG ) look too hot.
    Try bumping the extruder temp down a notch (try 200). See if reprinting those a little cooler doesn't help. The may be some over extrusion there as well and that might be making it look like it just printed too hot. At least I can see why you suspected over extrusion.

The other two... not certain. The brim/raft and perimeter on IMG_0071[1].JPG look good then it goes to crap.
    I assume that is a brim or a raft, if that really is the first layer then something is wrecking it as it moves up from layer 1.

8. Paul Vladuchick

Mark! You are totally right. The raft looked incredible until the actual part printed. The only major difference between them was the print speed, which is why I am starting to suspect my speed of 80 mm/s is just too high.

I am printing another cube at 200 and will post photos when it's done.
    Thank you for the reply.

paul

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

step it all the way back to 30 and see.
    I routinely run mine at 60, but I forget what the best max really is.
    If that makes a real/noticeable difference it might be a loose belt/pulley or drive gear.

10. Paul Vladuchick

Ok. I'll give that a shot on the full size one.

What happens if my bed temperature is too hot?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not likely to be an issue. I would not think that would do much, I have yet to see a too hot bed impact a print.
    Not saying it is impossible, but I haven't seen it.

A lot of folks use a heated bed even with PLA, it seems to help it stick better.

12. Paul Vladuchick

Excellent. Here are the results with the following temperatures
    Extrude Temp: 200 C
    Bed Temperature: 75 C

THe rest of the setting were unchanged including the fan not turning on during the bridge... hmmm, I think I'm missing something in the settings.

On to the photos!

IMG_0088[1].JPG IMG_0089[1].JPG IMG_0090[1].JPG

Still seems a bit melty...

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, then down to 195.
    That is really likely the bottom for PLA (I have tested and printed some below that, but on average I would not go lower than that).

If it still has that melted look at 195 it is more likely just looking softened from over extrusion. However, the fact that in the top photo the bridge looks like it is sagging sure looks like too hot still. If the fan is not running when bridging then yes--there is something mis-set still.

14. Paul Vladuchick

So, that over-extrusion thing has be concerned. I did a calibration on the extruder and it appears to be spot on. (100 mm extrude command resulted in 102 mm extrusion). I'm going to look into the fan speed - I'll post more soon.

15. Paul Vladuchick

I tried to print my big piece. It printed beautifully at 40 mm/s. Then, like magic, it is like the printer forgot where the infill and Z was and started to run through the infill making quite a racket as I'm sure you can image. The picture shows that half of the thickness of the part is spot on gorgeous. The second half is horrible. I wonder if I need to calibrate the X and Y stages?

IMG_0091[1].JPG

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Whats your Z steps per mm in the eeprom settings

17. Paul Vladuchick

By some happy coincedence: the thickness of the good part of the above image is almost the same as the raft (that printed excellently) as shown prior. Interesting...

18. Paul Vladuchick

Attached Files:

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok that seems fine if you have a bottom cover. Looks like cooling issues. Stick with calibration objects until you can print those reliably.

Did you turn down your temp? 210 seems too high to me.

20. Paul Vladuchick

The images above were at 210 and 200. I can print the calibration object tomorrow morning at an extrude temperature of 195.

#20 Paul Vladuchick, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.