1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Solid Layer Print Roughness

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Vladuchick, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah try 195 with the fan on 100%

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

For PLA.
    Hotend:195-210
    Bed: 55-65 with hairspray.
    Fan: off for first layer then 100% or Slic3r auto.
    Speed: 50mm/s is a good starting point.
    Season hotend and add an oiler.
    It does look like over extrusion too but I don't have any suggestions for that other than tweaking settings. Try the other stuff first though.

3. Paul Vladuchick

You're wish is completed.
    I printed several. The last version came out the best, but still not great.

Hot End Temp: 198 C (I can't go to 195 as the machine thinks it's too cold, if someone can tell me how to change the setting, I will).
    Bed Temperature: 30 C (the bridges came out better (less droopiness) at 30 C than they did at 55 - 65 C) with hair spray
    Fan on 100% except for first layer.

Sliced with MatterSlice. I will try again with Slic3r.

Extruder Multiplier at 0.8. I tried at 1.0 but the cubes appeared to be melting all over the place.
    Even at the stated settings, the entire piece comes out decent except for the top cube, it's all rounded and is melting off the piece. Very strange.

Does someone have a good tutorial on how to season the hotend? I have found a few on making an oiler. I'll do that this afternoon.

paul

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you make sure the parts fan was actually spinning? What about a different filament to try?

5. Paul Vladuchick

oh HECK YEAH!!!
    I think I found the problem: "Matter Slice"

I used Slic3r to make my Gcode and fed it into the printer. Holy Smokes. :)

Each of the cubes in X is around 5.1 mm, in Y 5.3 and Z is almost exactly 5.0
    Not perfect, but a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

Bed Temperature 35 C
    Extruder Temp: 200 C
    Z Offset 0.0

Extruder Multiplication: 1.0

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looks right to me :)

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

All the more reason not to use MatterControl :) Glad you got it sorted. That's a nice looking print.

8. Paul Vladuchick

Then, one last question:
    I'm now going to use Slic3r for generating the Gcodes. Is there any advantage of using something other than Matter Control to load my gcode into the machine? if so, what would you recommend?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like Repetier-Host. It has a different set of tools and is a little more advanced IMO. MC is just nice for their file management but besides that it's just a reskinned RH with less features

2 people like this.
  10. Paul Vladuchick

I'll check it out. Thank you for your help on this.

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Repetier Host + Slic3r for the win.

12. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

If I am currently using mattercontrol and matter slicer, but want switch to slic3r, what changes do I have to make. Do I still do the 3 point calibration setup. Do I still turn off off print leveling and use what Robo provides in it's firmware. Do I need to change the z offset value from 0 to something else.

13. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Hi guys,

I have purchased a Robo 3D printer in Oct,2014. I want to know which all filaments are compatible with the all metal hot end and what is the maximum temperature for both extruder and bed.
    It has hexagon all metal hot end. Right?

14. Robert Choban

Paul did you have any trouble switching from matterslicer to slic3r. Can you walk me thru the steps for going from matterslicer to slic3r. I concerned mostly about the Z offset, do I leave that alone, do I still turn off Auto print leveling in MatterContol.

15. Paul Vladuchick

Robert:

Just as a disclaimer, I am not expert here, but this is what I did and I got good results.
    In Slic3r I imported by geometry and with a z offset set to zero, I exported the Gcode. I think this requires a really good 3 point calibration in Matter Control. I haven't had any problem since.

16. Robert Choban

Thanks paul, I'm printing the item you show above with your same parameters:
    I am using Slic3r
    Bed Temperature 35 C
    Extruder Temp: 200 C
    Z Offset 0.0
    Extruder Multiplication: 1.0

Not sure what you mean by this statement:
    In Slic3r I imported by geometry and with a z offset set to zero, I exported the Gcode

I believe you have the newer robo r1 with the enclosed bottom, is that correct.

I will post pictures later today, but I can tell you that it looks good until the top cube. I can't get a square cube, it looks like it is a circle and it is falling over or squishing down on the top. The first layers look really good.

Not sure how you got a really nice looking square for the top layer.
    Could you show or tell me what some of your other slicer parameters that may affect that top layer and what filament you are using.

Also can someone explain the difference between the slicers. When I change from one slicer to another slicer none of the slicer parameters change, so what is the real difference between them and how do you know if one slicer is going to print better than another. Also is all you have to do to change from one slicer to another is to pick it in the menu, do you have restart mattercontrol for the new slicer you picked to work.

17. Paul Vladuchick

Hi Robert! Sorry for the confusion,

I meant to have said "In Slic3r, I import the geometry and with the z offset set to zero and all the temperatures set according to the recommended temperatures for PLA (or ABS), I export the gcode".

I do have a R1 with the enclosed bottom.

So, I had the same problem (or at least similar) when I would print. I found two work arounds:
    1. When slicing with the Matter Control (using the MatterSlice or Cura or Slic3r) I would have to set the extrude muliplier to around 0.75 or otherwise I would get very melty prints.
    2. I downloaded the latest version of Slic3r and used it as an external program to generate my gcode. Then I would import the gcode into Matter Control and print from there. MUCH BETTER RESULTS.

Post the pictures! Let's see what your prints look like!

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.