1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Stepper Motor Stopped Turning

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CCJ, Jun 9, 2017.

1. CCJ

CCJ New Member

I just finished a large print job and when I loaded the next job the right stepper motor has stopped turning. What is the part number and where can I get a replacement stepper motor? I have the R1 Plus.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which motor (which axis) exactly is the
    Sort of depends on which way you look and turn your head :)

X? Y? One of the Z?

Not that it matters much any NEMA-17 stepper the same size and step angle will drop right in (1.8deg step angle) Not sure how much torque is on the stock ones, but 35 nm-inch or more should be fine. I used these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8

3. CCJ

CCJ New Member

Sorry it's the right Z axis.

And these are basically drop in replacements for all of them? Should I replace both sides at the same time?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are a drop-in in terms of step angle (so Z steps/mm should be the same). Like I said I can't speak for the torque numbers because I don't have them for Robo motors. These work though...

If you want to replace them both it is not a bad idea. I would suggest swapping the stepper driver for the Z first to make sure that the motor does not work on another axis -- no sense replacing a good motor if you have a bad driver

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just swap the Z motor connectors on the RAMPS and if the "left" one stop working then it is the driver, not the motor.

6. CCJ

CCJ New Member

Perfect, that was going to be a follow up question. Thanks for the help.

Geof likes this.
  7. CCJ

CCJ New Member

I took the printer apart and found that the connector from the stepper motor to the controller had melted. I have a new motor to install but I can't get the stepper motor off of the screw rod.

If someone could give me the secret for separating them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

#7 CCJ, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1+ uses integrated leadscrews. It is possible to dismantle them from the stepper but not easy or simple. You need a new stepper with a leadscrew. Getting the exact one from Robo is ideal, but I know not if they have any in stock. The alternative is to replace both z steppers with new ones (different sized leadscrews) there is at least one thread on this. I can find it tomorrow. @WheresWaldo created that thread if memory serves.

Geof likes this.
  9. CCJ

CCJ New Member

The big problem I'm facing is getting the right stepper motor. The one suggested earlier in this thread doesn't fit the screw properly.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@CCJ that is an issue with Robo using what appears to be a stepper with very limited availability I am pretty sure the thread is a TR8*4. When I did my upgrade from readily available parts I could hardly find any that size, there were a lot of TR8*8 and some TR8*2 so I originally started with the former then upgraded again to the latter.

Not even http://www.omc-stepperonline.com has any with that threading that is long enough for the R1 (300 mm).

You could always just use a coupler on one side and use a standard stepper and a lead screw that matches Robo's specs.