1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stock Robo3d to bowden

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Robb, May 6, 2015.

1. Robb

Robb Member

Looking to change my stock Robo3D to a bowden. Was reading through others mods and was wondering if there is one that seems to work best.

I want to mount it on the top of my robo. On the slot that the filament normally runs through.

Anyone have a great design?

I am using a e3D v6 hot end.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You'll buckle the tube once the carriage gets to a decent height. Always better to have an arc of some sort

3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Once people quit asking me to print things for the, I'm planning on switching to Bowden as one step of my larger scheme to switch to a Cyclops. From what I've found out, there are a few ways you can go about this. One way is to use a Greg's Wade setup, which is the same as the one currently on your Robo. This is the way that I plan to go about it, since I don't care about size and this is apparently the strongest setup. If you're looking for something a bit smaller, you're going to want to use something with a Drive Gear. From what I've read, the MK7 drive gear is one of the best. There are also great reviews about the Tatsu v2, but it costs a lot more. The benefit to a drive gear setup is that they're smaller, but they're also more expensive overall and don't seem to extrude quite as well, so if you don't mind a larger setup, it sounds like it is beneficial to use a Greg's Wade or similar.

As Mike said, you need to make sure that there is a good arc between the cold end and the hot end. Think of it like a garden hose, but a lot more picky. If you bend the hose too far, the filament will get stuck and none will come out the opposite end. Friction is the enemy.

EDIT: By the way, this is what I'm planning on trying to use: Greg's Wade Reloaded
    I have yet to see if it's good first hand, but it sounds pretty good, so I figure it's worth a shot.

#3 bamhm182, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. Robb

Robb Member

Mike,
    Do you know if anyone has designed a mount for the Robo? Maybe i side mount?

5. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Are you looking for something like this
    [​IMG]

6. Robb

Robb Member

That would work? Do you have a STL or thingiverse link?

BTW - do you feel you benefited from changing to bowden?

7. jbigler1986

I would have to find the file when I get home. Also I moved back to direct drive. Didn't feel like fiddling with the bowden anymore. Spent 2 days trying to get it printing good.

8. jbigler1986

Bam. MK has you covered. He designed the plate. I take 0 credit for it. I just printed it and tried it out.

9. Robb

Robb Member

Perfect.i will start working on it this weekend. Thanks Mike!!!

10. Robb

Robb Member

jbigler1986 - What was the problem with your bowden that made you go back to direct?

11. jbigler1986

Mainly my shitty alignment from the gregs wade filament hole/mount hole/bowden adapter. Probably could have fixed it by drilling out the hole on the plate more. Just was to lazzy i guess. Figured I could get it to work still.

12. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

What would be a reason to switch to a bowden tube other than speed?

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With Bowden the carriage is only moving the weight of the hotend(s) and not the entire extruder(s) so it can move (and change directions) much faster/easier.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With Bowden the carriage is only moving the weight of the hotend(s) and not the entire extruder(s) so it can move (and change directions) much faster/easier.