1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved stops printing after leveling bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro boy

astro boy Member

I have had a number of successful prints but I just can't figure this out and I'm hoping someone can help.
    Last night I was playing with the jog controls... first let me say I've got the robo r1+ and am using simplify 3d.
    I set the extruder to manually go lower than the bed by accident and the extruder for a few seconds acted like a hammer wanting to go through the bed. after stopping it. I tried to hit home all and the z axis went all the way as high as it could go and unplugged the harness to the stepper motor.
    ok... figured out that my one z switch was not hitting the carriage because of the 1st mistake with the jog control and it threw it out of whack... so after fixing the z switch and plugging the harness back in I hit home all and it goes there, but no other jog controls work. if I begin to print it will go through the leveling process flawlessly but stop at the very last point and just stay there while the software says its printing. Meanwhile the communication is telling me that the printer has stopped due to errors and to fix them and restart.
    Any suggestions on what to look for or do would be appreciated. I have tried restarting, deleting the printer and bringing it back in again, restoring defaults. I'm not sure what to try next.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to look all the way through the communications log to find the real error. It will be in there exactly once and then Marlin rather than repeating the actual error just tells you to fix the error over and over again. It is likely an error with the thermistor (that is the most common one). Dump the communications log to a file if need be and search for the word "error" from the start.

3. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a try when I get in. I'll also try and research the thermistor while I'm at it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is the thermistor and this is an R1+ then ... you need to get it from Robo.
    We have looked and can't find an exact match anywhere.
    Alternatively, other hotends (E3D, Prometheus, generic Hexagon) all have more readily available thermistors.

I am not sure how that worked out, but where ever Robo is sourcing those from is unique.

Geof likes this.
  5. astro boy

astro boy Member

In the communications log will it be a code or something obvious like bad thermistor? It's strange because it seems the temps come up on both the bed and extruded and stabilize until you start to print.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You will see an error:
    Temperature fell too much during print

That is most likely

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That happens when there is a faulty connection to the thermistor or if tt is cracked internally

8. astro boy

astro boy Member

ok here is the log after starting to connect...

Attempting connection at \\.\COM3...

READ: start

Connected to machine!

READ: echo:Marlin1.0.0

Marlin1.0.0

READ: echo: Last Updated: Jun 24 2015 14:05:08 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)

Last Updated: Jun 24 2015 14:05:08 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)

READ: Compiled: Jun 24 2015

SENT: T0

READ: echo: Free Memory: 3749 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232

Free Memory: 3749 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232

READ: echo:Stored settings retrieved

Stored settings retrieved

READ: Error:0

READ: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !

READ: Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

SENT: M105

READ: echo:SD init fail

SD init fail

READ: echo:Active Extruder: 0

Active Extruder: 0

READ: ok

READ: ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 T0:0.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0

SENT: M105

READ: ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 T0:0.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0

Disconnected.

I guess the extruder switched off is the error? mintemp triggered... this would be a thermister issue?
    its strange that my little jog error would cause this to fail. Maybe plugging the harness in for the z stepper while the printer was on could have done this?
    either way I guess I'll order a few new thermisters just in case unless anyone has other suggestions that it could be something else.

Thanks

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it is seeing the temperature drop suddenly (a lot). If you are not seeing the drop in the temperature graph in whatever software you are printing with it is likely because it is a sudden spike down and then it returns to reading normally. The firmware reacts without the software on the PC even seeing it happen. BOOM! Done. Safety shutoff.

10. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks so much for your help Mark,
    I'm going to try and order my thermisters tonight from robo and I'll post the results afterwards.
    It's great to be able to come here and get help from you and others in this community. Hopefully I can do the same for others eventually.

best,
    John

WheresWaldo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  11. astro boy

astro boy Member

After installing the thermistor I'm back in operation, But now my print quality is in question. It seems that extrusion is uneven so far. I'm going to start another thread for this issue. Thanks for all the help Mark!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.