1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

string/globs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Greenberg, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Greenberg

Daniel Greenberg New Member

Hey everyone,

I have received my printer the other day, ran a few test prints, got more filament, and tested some more. I calibrated everything in Slic3er to the best of my knowledge, and I've tightened the Y-axis pulley for optimal results. so my calibration for PLA is nearing an end (havent attempted ABS yet). the issue that I am currently having is when the print head maneuvers to another piece, where I would have mild stringing, but much globbing on the exiting of the layers. Any advice on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It looks like you're doing really well for a few days in! You may want to try running a tiny bit cooler. Also play around with retraction settings, perhaps try out that lift setting.

3. Daniel Greenberg

Thanks Matt for the tip, I haven't gotten it perfect, but I printed a prototype for one of the parts of my project and here are the results.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bear in mind that every spool of filament may be a bit different (even if you bought them from the same vendor). Always test print from a new spool to see if you need to tweak it any. I have not had to vary wildly, but +/- as much as 5 degrees is not unusual.

5. Daniel Greenberg

I've always been aware of material property variety. regardless of same make, but thanks Mark for the heads up.

next topic:

ABS plastic has been a pain in my side all week due to extruding and sticking problems, from what I can tell for the extruding problem, the feeder grinds away at the material even though the heat element is hot enough for processing, which displays non-continuous extruding.

Then, the ABS has a hard time sticking to itself, possible nozzle temperature issue?

Finally, the last problem that has been really irritating me is this offset and realignment issue:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the displacement is along the Y axis (bed movement) but the pulley is certainly tight enough (possibly too tight so the belt's teeth out of place when the motor turns)

you can also see where the plastic is not adhering to itself

any thoughts?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, try running it hotter and see if it behaves. [the thermistor may be flakey]

The offsets (Y axis you pointed out) are either belt, motor or rail related.

If the belt is tight enough then check the bed moves smoothly back and forth (by hand). It could be a bearing in the rails that needs lubrication (or it is simply bad). Also, look under it as the bed travels and watch the Y belt on the pulley and bearings. My Y drive had the pulley loose and it slid down which actually caused the Y belt to bind on the pulley and bearings as it moved from one extreme to the other--the belt was plenty tight, but it was just moving (up and down) due to the loose pulley. If you really think the belt is too tight, loosen it a single tooth.

7. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Is it possible the borosilicate is slipping slightly? I had similar misalignment issues initially when I was using the included printed clips. Running a strip of masking tape along each edge to tape it to the wood undermeath stopped the slipping.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good point. I used binder clips to pin mine down on both ends. The default clips are not the best.

9. Daniel Greenberg

its the new model, with the borosilicate as the print bed. statically (bolted) mounted to all the fixtures.

also, significant chirping coming from the rails, going to pick up some silicone lubricant tomorrow

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

How many shells are you printing with? That ABS warpage/shrinkage happens all throughout the part and is worse with more material. So even when you're getting perfectly acceptable adhesion, you can still develop delaminations due to stress cracks.

The more materials I try, the less useful I find ABS. ABS is great in a Stratasys with a build chamber heated to 80C and controlled cooling rate. In our machines? not so much.

I think Mark is right on with respect to the belt slippage causing your layer issues.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If only we could get the belts out of the build area we could get away with 80C. Otherwise they'll heat and loosen.

12. Daniel Greenberg

well, one of the bolts clamping the borosilicate to the rail lost its nut inside the rail, could have been the cause of the slippage, got that fixed. and I loosened the belt a little, will post results later today.

update:

[​IMG]

we are a no go. i checked the bearing and pulley, all are set right. still need to lube it though.

the wires concern me:
    [​IMG]

13. Daniel Greenberg

hey guys, sorry for the double posting, but I have just about everything tidy up, except one problem that just rose up.

I have my infill settings for honeycomb and rectilinear, but sometimes, from what I believe to occur from some external tensional stresses, the head just lays down some garbage infill with no pattern at all.

which I believe results in the attached image.

anyone else experiencing the same?

Attached Files:

14. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

That, to me, looks like under-extrusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Daniel Greenberg

Thanks Melody,

but I've played around with the feeder settings and have no luck with the problem. In the attached image, this is where the the layers are splitting, the infill instead of putting down a nice rectilinear support, it glazes on a garbage layer of support. I do think you are right, because when I pull the the filament out, I get some necking in the material.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

on one of my projects, it was a large flat piece, it started curling at the end. so I turned on the heat bed, and tried pushing it down on the end, and this was where I actually saw the head lay down the garbage infill. potentially a Tensile stress thing?

16. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Daniel, that still looks like under extrusion. Is your filament a constant width throughout before it goes into hot-end?

17. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I had all those problems.
    Solution was simple.
    Forget repetier, switch to CURA.

18. Chas

Chas Member

I had the opposite problem. I was using CURA for a while and kept having issues. Once I was a little more familiar with settings, I switched back over to slic3r and it went MUCH better. Some of the conversion from the Ultimaker to the ROBO is a little tricky. I would say, if it doesnt slice well with slic3r try CURA, and if it doesn't slice well with CURA try slic3r. They both have their benefits.

19. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I have not had any issues with CURA what so ever but i had nothing BUT issues with repetier that uses Slic3r.
    Using same slice settings, CURA gives 2-3 times less print time and i dont know how.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.