1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Strings, Globs and Chunks

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by R.Irwin, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Irwin

R.Irwin New Member

My issue is within the first 5 layers. My first layer is laying down nice and flat and is sticking to the bed. However my filament is stringing layer to layer. This stringing is then catching on the layer below and it is being pulled across my part. The extruder is then running into these strings and starts building globs of filament on the extruder itself. This glob tends to build up just below the tip of the extruder and the glob is physically dragging across my part, which is making my base layers full of chunks. So the top of my part never ends up being flat. Once these base layers are down the rest of the print seems to work fine but im biuling ontop of a base that is full of globs.

I do not have any photos ( I ran out of filament, get more Monday or Tuesday).

Is this a temperature issue? how have you stopped your printer from stringing?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Stringing is a tough one. You can try things like using retraction, ooze shields, and adjusting temperatures.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, generally speaking it means the temp is a little hot, but like Mike says there are a lot of potential things to play with.

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What temp are you running on? PLA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. R.Irwin

R.Irwin New Member

190°C

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try experimenting.
    Park the extruder in the middle of the bed, raise it an inch or so and set the temp to 190.
    extrude 10 mm. Then lower it a degree, repeat (or raise it a degree if you think you are too cold).
    Watch the extruded filament. When it is too hot it will want to curl back up immediately and stick to the extruder.

There are likely other issues as Mike said, stringing alone is usually harmless (but not pretty). I have never had it wreck a print.

7. R.Irwin

R.Irwin New Member

First Off, I would like thank all of you that have been helping me!!! Below is an image of our company logo I was printing. It printed fine on low and Medium, however on High this is what my base layer looked like. Once this base was completed, the extruder started on the perimeter of layer 2 and because of the clobs, it ripped layer one off.

Note: this was the first time printing not using painter tape.

@Mark Tomlinson Thank you I have a good temperature now.

Please take a look at the image. Do I need to adjust my speed? 20140325_101237.jpg

8. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

What is on the print bed? It looks like just bare shiny to me - some glue stick or hair spray on there would probably help. Initial layer height can be set higher in Slic3r/Cura - you can print the first layer at 0.3 and the rest thinner, for better first layer adhesion. Also looks to me like you need to turn your right threaded rod just a tiny bit, so that it raises that side up a little, as it's not quite as high on that side. First layer height is also too low there - those jagged blobbies are the print head dragging through the filament.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What are you using to print (what program)? What does "low and Medium, High" affect?
    Speed?

Agree with topsy that the height is a little off still. That first layer looks ragged.

10. R.Irwin

R.Irwin New Member

I am using Repetier. Low, Medium and High are the Quality/Speed options "Low" is the worst Quality (Thicker layers) and Prints the Fastest. "High" has the tightest layers and prints the slowest.

My "Speed" is the amount of filament to extrude (mm/min). For all Low, Med. and High the default speed have all been the same. It only make sense that printing at higher quality (slower prints) the filament should extrude slower to match. Right? If so, does anyone have a chart or basic guideline to follow?

It is harder to tell on this photo (Not the same angle as above), but it is the same part, printed at low quality with the same extruding speed as above. The globs only ever happen when I am using High Quality
    20140325_070632.jpg

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I totally do not see Low/Medium/High options in Repetier :(
    Where are you seeing those?
    Are these configurations you created/edited and saved?

I have a metric ton of saved configs, each with different tweaks. You are going to need to be more specific about what settings you are looking at.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those are in the robo 3d version of repetier Mark

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah, I guess us early adopters got left out of that :)

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can still download it off their website lol

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, I have the one I am using tweaked out to suit me. Not going to curse that :)
    Thought I could offer some hints on other settings, but it sounds like it is a bit too different from the generic 0.95F I am currently using.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In general (back on topic) all things being the same, yes slower printing would mean slower extrusion rates. Otherwise you will pile up the material and make a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.