1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stuff for a Haunted House

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Printed Solid, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

A few days ago, I made an agreement to sponsor a Haunted House attraction near Dover Delaware called the Haunted Barn this coming Halloween. Their website is currently down, but they are linked off of my facebook page at facebook.com/printedsolid. My sponsorship basically entrails (it was a typo, but I had to leave it given the topic) making printed scary stuff for displays. They're really into clowns and zombies.

We've bounced around a bunch of ideas, but the one that has me the most intrigued is that I print them up around 50 or so small busts of killer clowns that are reaching out of the walls. I'd like to get some motion sensors, flashing LEDs, and maybe even some tubing connected to a pump to gush fake blood. The electronics is beyond me, but I'm sure some of my EE friends would be really into helping me out. Of course, I'm a CAD guy, not so strong as an artist/Blender user, so that's going to be a reach as well.

I'm also going to make them some promotional stuff like zombie heads or skulls to go on glowsticks.
    Anyone interested in helping me come up with some designs or offering suggestions for inexpensive ways to get the electronics taken care of?

2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Sounds awesome and a really good project for you. Not sure I can help much but very interested in how you move forward. Good luck!

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I would look into Arduino boards. There are many sizes and prices available. I hear they are pretty easy to program to do simple things.

2 people like this.
  4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

3 people like this.
  5. Michael DiFilippo

Gotta agree with Justin, investing in some arduino would really allow you to do some awesome stuff on the cheap. One board could easily drive an entire animatronic figure

3 people like this.
  6. Michael DiFilippo

PS if you have an Ipad you may want to play with 123D sculpt. It is pretty cool and really easy to play with and use I've already had some making up some "creatures" in it. You have to pay it looks like (3$ i think?) but you can export them as .obj files which you could then tweak and print.

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'll try it out. Thanks.

8. BjG

BjG Member

The lo-tec way to do it:

Connect a garden pump to a footplate switch (or some other pressure/light switch)

other parts needed:
    small reservoir with ketchup +water (or tomato juice )
    some kind of nozzle

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I was hoping for more of an automation approach, but as I get to know the people more... low tech may be the way to go. They can probably staff people to activate pumps, turn on lights, move heads etc from behind a sheet, but I do not think they would be able to deal with any potential problems if an automation system were to need any kind of maintenance.

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I've had a few artists give me permission to use their files. I'll be making about 30 small clown busts from their work.
    Here is the first one. Vapor polished white ABS, artist Shane Campbell
    2013-05-24 06.47.50.jpg 2013-05-24 06.47.39.jpg

11. Michael DiFilippo

very cool! Are you going to be painting them?

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

*I* will not be painting them. Nobody would like that.

I believe the customer will.

13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

And another:
    2013-05-24 22.36.00.jpg

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Printed, are these in ABS? And then acetone polished after?

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

yes. vapor polished white ABS. You can see the thumb print in the hair on the second one from where I picked it up before it had finished its post cure. Doh!
    The artist has some pretty cool models up on shapeways
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/brooklyncharm

16. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Attached Files:

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I like that last one don't shine him up he looks better that way did these cost you anything if not could you send me the file for that last one.....

Actually he looks great both ways

18. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Isn't a great model!? The filament that I used for it was actually pretty crappy. It should come out even better when I run it with some better filament. I agree that it looks good without the vapor polish, but I'm probably going to vapor polish all of them to make it easier to paint.

Unfortunately, these are all models that are not public domain and I was given permission to use them only for the specific purpose of the haunted house. So I can't send it to you.

Thinigverse user Cerberus333 did make some models for me. They're pretty good, but need some paint before they really stand out. These are public domain at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:94034

Here's Captain Spaulding
    2013-05-27 14.46.38.jpg

19. Michael DiFilippo

these are coming out awesome PS! Are they all being printed solid? could you print them hollow do you think?

3 people like this.
  20. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'm assuming you're making a joke on the irony of my business name? That's actually the first time I've heard that so far. :)

I almost never print anything 100% solid. warping is going to be the worst for a 100% solid model, not to mention a waste of material. Usually no more than 30% filled. Captain Spaulding was done with 1 extra shell and 0%infill. The first 2 were done with 2 extra shells and 10%infill (way too much plastic, next ones will be thinner). Evil Clown was done with 1 extra shell and 10% infill. I think that the clown with the shriner's hat needs infill for bridging at the top of the hat, but I bet I could do the pudgy one hollow.