1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Support Removal Tricks?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jarrod1937, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Hello, I was able to successfully print my first complex print, done with PLA and line supports. Because of the amount of overhangs I did the 'support everywhere' options in mattercontrol. However, after the print, the large supports were easy to remove, but it seems like the ridges of the line supports are actually bonded to the model. I think a bit of filing them down and some sandpapering should do the trick.
    However, with that said, I was wondering if someone has tricks to removing the support structure a bit easier?

2. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Yeah get simplify3d thats my tip of the day.

However I sometimes use a dremel as needed.

#2 Chuck Erwin, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Yep, that seems to be the consensus from the forums. I was just hoping there was an easier way to salvage my existing print.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You could also adjust the Interface Layer in MC settings for Supports, that seems to cause the most issues with surface finish after removal. I don't use MC so I cannot vouch for how well this will work, but it was discussed in the MatterControl Community Forum.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dremel then is your best bet.

Someone made a set of adapters for soldering irons. It was a variety of tips that when you added then to the iron would allow you to melt off support material.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Back in my plastic model building days I used to have a tip for my soldering iron that allowed the insert of a #11 X-Acto blade, it made pulling plastic off the sprue very easy and clean, it would probably work equally as well removing remnants of the support structures after removal.

7. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Ah, interesting, didn't think about a soldering iron. I have a spare soldering station and some flat tips, may try and use that.

8. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

I must say Simplify3D's supports are a lot better. With MatterControl on the default settings it actually bonded to the model and I was unable to detach them even with pliers. With simplify I was able able to disconnect them with my fingers and tweezers for the tight spots, and good to go. Highly recommend the switch over to others.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm using matter control until I switch to s3d. I use pliers and an xacto knife. Not the greatest way but it works for now :-D