1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

T-Glase super-clear

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by mark tomlinson, Dec 9, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Oh wow that's really clear. Interested in your findings.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

He posted this on reddit a few days before putting it on his blog, so I've also had it on my to-do list.
    Definitely read the details of his process. They are important.
    I tried it on a vase. I believe it is in XT, but I printed it close to a year ago, so I'm not positive. Pretty much the same results. I also happen to have a pile of batteries laying around...
    It does not clarify much if you only paint outside or inside. You really have to do both. As pointed out in the Taulman blog, this is an amazing result. However, I believe it needs to be done on 100% infill prints for sure and possibly only single wall. @mark tomlinson maybe you can try it on something 100% infill?
    1208141947.jpg
    I also tried it out on a print in translucent orange PLA/PHA. Results were stunning, but not transparent. I suspect it would have been if it was a vase.

1208141948.jpg

I also tried it on a christmas tree print in red t-glase, so another non-vase print. Results on this one were pretty much crap and not worth sharing, but for fun, here is the tree prior to coating
    1206141536a.jpg

Thus continues the mystery of XTC-3D. Greatfor some things, not so much for others.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll try a vase or hollow sort of thing with 100% infill and we'll see. Hopefully today.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

100% infill won't work because the optical properties can't be corrected. You'll just see lots of distortion. You might be able to improve optical qualities of a 0% infill print but the internal lines would still cause distortion

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, they say fat/thick and slow helps so I am going to try that as well (and run it at the high end of the temp, supposedly hotter is better for clarity).
    I can run it both with 100% and 30% and see which one looks better.

7. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Which looked better, the 100% or the 30%? Or did you find a better infil setting?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

100% looked better.