1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Temp issues with Robo3d and octoprint

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jason Hopkins, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Jason Hopkins

Jason Hopkins New Member

I have been trying to print abs thru my robo3d plus and octoprint. Have not had good results yet, but I keep noticing octoprint keeps changing my temps, It will heat up to my set point of 235 with in a few minutes octoprint drops it back to 210. I can change it again, and it will heat back up an hold some times.

I have changed my preset temps in octoprint and that hasn't help. Does anyone know if my issues is with octoprint or Robo3d? Have I reached the realm of needing to modify my firmware?

My current issues with printing abs are layers not bonding and some curling so I'm thinking I have not found the best temp yet, but with octoprint changing temps on me doesnt help much.

Jason Hopkins
    KF4pmy

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Is this on an R2 printer?

Look in Octoprint >> settings >> scripts and see if the script before starting a print has an M109 or M190 followed by the number 210 and remove it.

3. Jason Hopkins

Jason Hopkins New Member

Under Gcode script in before print job starts I have nothing. My after a print job is canceled is the only block with anything in it.

Im getting the feeling I dont have octoprint fully setup here

4. Jason Hopkins

Jason Hopkins New Member

Sorry, I forgot.
    My printer is robo3d plus, I just recent went from using matter control on a window box to getting Cura running under linux mint. From there I did a presetup image of octoprint on to rasberrypi.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Then it isn't OctoPrint doing the temp change, look over all your MatterControl settings.

Geof likes this.
  6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

*Cura

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  7. Jason Hopkins

Jason Hopkins New Member

Thank, you for the help. I finally was able to heat up to 240 and try a abs print. I did transfer my start and end gcodes from cura over to octoprint, but that did not solve my problem.

After down loading robo3dplusv2 firmware and scrolling thru it I found my problem. I was heating nozzle to 240 and the bed to 110, and 110 is max temp setting. Tonight I tried a test print of 240 nozzle and 70 bed, she printing fine. Octoprint did not try changing any temps on me.

But this has made me thing of another question, Should I set my temp in cura save my model and move it to octoprint or should I leaving temp setting in cura at 0 move the model over to octoprint and set my temp in octoprint.

Thanks, again.
    Jason Hopkins
    KF4PMY

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I know you will get a different answer from @mark tomlinson, he likes OctoPrint to do as much as possible so he populates all the scripts to do work trhat is specific to the printer that instance of OctoPrint is attached to. I leave them all blank except for the Print Canceled script. If you cancel a print no more g-code from that print runs, so it makes sense for OctoPrint to handle that situation. So I do everything I can in the slicer then only transfer the pre-sliced g-code to OctoPrint.

Kilrah and Geof like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes. This is a personal preference :)

Since i have an instance of OctoPrint fronting every printer and one computer generally doing all the design and another doing the slicing I just let OctoPrint handle everything custom to that printer.

I totally get where others would prefer to keep that in the slicer scripts, I did myself until earlier this year. With a single printer it is even less of an issue :)

Whichever way feels best for you.