1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved The Cure For Z Banding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marquis Johnson, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Inches, although I hate using them my most accurate measuring tool is in inches.
    I agree on the continuity part, but this whole process took a few hours, after I finished I heavily debated on re filming.
    I'll fix that now, 405 steps came from a proportion calculation because I didn't know the pitch of the screw.
    calculation: (new steps/mm) = (old steps/mm)*(desired travel distance)/(actual travel distance).
    I'm actually surprised a proportion got me only 5 steps off.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Only reason I mentioned it as that for small objects it likely won't matter, but for anything printed of substance you are just magnifying the error. Plus it sends the wrong message to your subscribers; that incomplete/bad/incorrect mechanical setup can be overcome by changing something in firmware/software.

Please note I know that was not your intent.

3. ssshake

ssshake Member

Just wanted to comment, many years later, that the z-banding issue I was experiencing was due to my rods being bent.

I followed your advice, I replaced them. I just replaced them with these cheap ones off amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07W6DPZLG) and that was all it took to show improvement.

Same couplers (which are also bent). But still, banding is gone. I have new couplers on the way.

I may go with integrated steppers if this doesn't seem to be a good long term solution. But all the same very happy the banding is gone. I haven't printed much in the past few years so I just stopped trying to figure this out.

This is the first time I bothered to disconnect the rods from the print and see how they rolled. They were very wavy.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The couplers are not inherently bad and I have one that still uses them. Glad you got it sorted!