1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

the fan from hell and another question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom C, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Tom C

Tom C New Member

ok guys I have been a delta guy since 2013, I have a rostock max V1. I wanted a cartesian and did not want to build a a prusia or something like a cobblebot. just wanted to unbox and print. the robo looked nice enough that I though hey i will get one, and the price is reasonable. it will look good on my bench. watched the videos and saw the printer sitting on peoples desk. figured must be pretty quiet... boy was I wrong!! so my first mod is to swap out that freakin jet engine that thinks it is a cooling fan. I cannot even hear my rostock run when this thing is turned on, my rostock it fairly quiet though, it has dampers and a bunch of upgrades.

the Davinci is soo quiet, but it had proprietary filament and I am not doing that!! so anyone who has swapped out their fan let me know what will work. I am tempted to put a corsair 750 watt modular power supply on it like my rostock has. then it would be really quiet :)

also anyone have the latest firmware for the R1Plus? need to add an LCD screen, use it all the time on my rostock and have one of the reprap ones coming. I asked robo but they said "it comes with the latest software" anyone know how to grab the firmware from the mega? never done that with arduino before its always been a download after modifying the config.H with my rostock.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Tom C

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

So there's 2 fans that usually make the most noise. The power supply fan and the heatsink fan.

If you can track down a 60mmx10-15mm fan you can replace the psu fan pretty easily. Getting it out is he hardest part of that. Otherwise I'd suggest buying a different power supply on Amazon. It's a 12v 30A power supply and can be got for like 24 bucks.

The other fan is a bit more tricky. Since it's a 25mm fan they're typically either super loud and good airflow or quiet and no airflow. Id suggest upgrading to a 30mm fan as there are some mounts available on thingiverse to do that pretty easily.

I really don't understand why robo doesn't just point out where the firmware is. The R1+ is using the lead screw upgrade firmware here. http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

You only need to modify the firmware if you install a full graphics lcd. The xxl is already configured

3. Tom C

Tom C New Member

the link you gave me says not to use it if you own the R1plus which I have. not sure of the differences. will that link be good?

Tom C

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It doesn't say that, I think they just say that for people who think they need to update the firmware unnecessarily. It's what the R1+ is currently using and is fine to modify for it.

#4 Mike Kelly, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Tom C

Tom C New Member

that's the reason I contacted support. I assumed there was another distro

Tom C

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I asked them to clarify that because it's confusing and not helpful

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a historical model for the firmware :)

Consistency counts.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Why do you think I numbered all the 1.1.0 builds, instead of the cryptic number/letter combo that Robo uses. I made it real simple too. The build number is the number of days since 01/01/1900. That way you know exactly when the firmware was snapshot. Robo on the other hand, can't seem to figure out what to call their firmware and personally I think it confuses them also.

9. Tom C

Tom C New Member

this firmware is wrong for the R1plus. I had no problem enabling the LCD after adding the correct library. I did nothing else other than comment out the xxl adapter and enable the correct one. the sketch compiled correctly before I uploaded it to the mega. now the Z steps per mm is off. it is travelling to hi on each z step. a 10 mm hi object tries to become a 20 mm object. can someone please do a screencap of the EEprom for the R1 plus that is inside mattercontrol

Tom C

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Which firmware did you use? You need to use the "lead screw upgrade" firmware

11. Tom C

Tom C New Member

ok I used the one at the top of the list...

12. Tom C

Tom C New Member

re uploaded will posts results. thanks... that eeprom looks a bit different

Tom C

edit - much better printing like it used to!!

#12 Tom C, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015