1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Slicer Bandwagon...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wesley Knapp, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'll give it a look.
    Just testing.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

nah not really a war as none of the slicer companies seem to really care who uses which one ;)

I'm glad E3D is doing smarter tool paths (if what they claim works). Also waiting to mess with it until its a bit more refined (and actually has all the features one would want)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ugh, cloud based.

Geof likes this.
  5. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

If they didn't care which we used they wouldn't waste their time and money creating another. Seems to me it just makes it more difficult to produce optimal gcode files. Isn't that what we really want?

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

E3D is looking to sell a product that does it "smarter" from what i understand. Cura is backed by Ultimaker, Simplify 3D is a product sold by themselves, slic3r is the oddball thats free but Prusa 3D is formatting their own version of and iterating (quickly). The only "costs you money" one is Simplify 3D (that I've ever used) and now E3D's Pathio when it becomes an actual product. Thats all I meant :D The free ones dont give a hoot ;)

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I want a slicer I can walk up to, slice, print and not deal with crap. I tried all of the free ones for years and after swapping to S3D -- never went back :)

IS it perfect? No, but 99% of the time I slice, I print and do other things :) If it doesn't work they help me work around it.

Slicers have to work on a LOT of different hardware and this is the rub. If they pair it with an E3D at least they have some known hardware to work against :)

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I like @mark tomlinson tried all the slicers out there and even purchased S3D (except for Kisslicer). But, my opinion about S3D is very different from Mark's. Three years ago S3D had no rival, but that was then. I do not see the same value in S3D nor its fanatical ( yes I mean you @mark tomlinson :D ) devotion to such dated technology nor it's value proposition. I am almost completely switched to Slic3r Prusa Edition, but I will continue to try new ones like the one E3D is developing currently. I am not a big fan of having to have an Internet connection to make a slicer work.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.