1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Thingy making loud noises and not extruding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cindy, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy

Cindy New Member

I use Mattercontrol.

2. Cindy

Cindy New Member

I think my next step is to buy a new extruder motor. I can turn the knob just fine to extrude filament. As soon as the motor starts it sounds like it's grinding something up. Anyone done this with generic hardware? I don't see this listed in the Robo 3D store. Anything I should look out for? As always, advice and guidance is much appreciated.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

https://smile.amazon.com/Stepper-Motor-Bipolar-64oz-Printer/dp/B00PNEQI7W

That has enough torque and the same step angle (which means no having to tweak the firmware) as the ones in the R1 and R1+ all of those are using fairly generic Nema-17 steppers. I am not certain how much torque the stock ones have, but this is at least as much and works as a drop in for the other axis (X/Y/Z) and mine have the same stepper for the extruder as well. Some may have a smaller one or so I have heard....

I would suggest after swapping it that you calibrate the extruder to insure the eSteps are correct

I did use one of those from the Amazon link in a GregsWade extruder we printed for a delta printer and it worked fine. Now it is working as a second extruder on that machine. :)

#23 mark tomlinson, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are really slow to update their store so if you want to get one from them just ring them up and see what they say.

5. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Hey @mark tomlinson, I sure do appreciate all your help.

I bought the part you suggested and plugged the cable in. I decided to test it with my reprap smart controller. Just like with my (broken??) extruder motor, it won't move when I select prepare|move access|1mm|extruder. I plugged it in (both directions) on the ramps board and it does not move at all with the controller. I never tested moving the extruder when the printer was working. Is it supposed to work via the smart controller?

My current issue is that the small extruder gear does not fit on to the new motor. The robo 3d motor has 2 flat sides (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1657488) but the one I bought only has 1 flat side. As soon as I find one to print that will work I can ask my co-worker to print it for me. I might end up needing to print both big and small gears.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Cindy,
    There are alot of greg wade gears on thingiverse you can choose from. If you want you can file down the motor shaft or drill the little plastic gear just a little bit bigger (to allow a press fit onto the new stepper motor). If you need something printed let me know and I can try to assist.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not tried to drive the extruder via the smart controller, but as long as the extruder is hot and at printing temperature I would expect it to turn if you told it to regardless of how. If it was at room temperature -- nope. The firmware will stop that.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I extrude via controller often on all sorts of machines but you have to be preheated like @mark tomlinson pointed out otherwise its a no go.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy New Member

The new motor works. It is fixed now. So happy to have a working printer again.

@mark tomlinson thank you for all your help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.