1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Tip on Checking Thermistor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marquis Johnson, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

I installed and used my E3D v6 for about a month now, and the thermistor just quit on me. I of course got this error.
    Code:
    Recv: Error:0
    Recv: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
    Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched off. MINTEMP t...'
    Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
    But if the firmware crashes your printer you can't test to see what going on without a Multimeter on continuity or resistance setting. Alas if you go to line 154 in Configuration.h and change
    #define HEATER_0_MINTEMP 5
    to
    #define HEATER_0_MINTEMP -50
    the printer will start up without an error (DISCAIMER: Don't heat it up) and display the temp reading at 0, allowing you to move wires and test for a short or a loose connection without the need to grab any tools.

Sadly my thermistor was completely out, but luckily I have a thermistor lying around in the garage, so I'll use that as my temp while I wait for my other replacement to be shipped to me.

Hope this helps

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I really think that all of the thermosistors need to be upgraded. Or at the very least beef up the wiring for them. They fail far to often and break far to often. I have 2 threaded ones that will be here today to hopefully solve my issues with them.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They are delicate.

The threaded, steel body ones are much better. Just be careful with the wires. They are not as easy to destroy as the others by any measure and once you have them mounted they don't move around.

4. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Speaking of the threaded ones. I just got mine. Which wire is positive/negative?

5. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

If it's just a thermistor (a thermal resistor) and not a thermal couple, there is no positive or negative. It's only job it restrict current from passing through which it can do from either direction.

milks and jbigler1986 like this.