1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Top layer issues (overheating? speed? infill?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BR3M3RB, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BR3M3RB

BR3M3RB New Member

Im using a Robo3D R1+ and having trouble with my last layers printing PLA at 210º and 55º ont he bed. Im printing first layer at 10 mm/sec. and it does a great job. After that it goes to 90 mm/sec. Infill is i think 30% at least. I changed the last layer to print at 60% the speed (54 mm/sec).

I'm using CraftWare which allows you to modify speed and density of the last layer. Should I print the last layer faster or slower? Increas or decrease the extruder % on the last layer? Do I NEED to increase the infill (preferablly not due to the size of the print)? I experienced this same issue with a much smaller part.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before printing the big one I tried a smaller version which went almost perfect with lower quality settings (infill and top/bottom solid layers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 BR3M3RB, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not enough top layers and might be a tad too hot.

Geof and Kilrah like this.
  3. BR3M3RB

BR3M3RB New Member

I don't think the number of solid layers on top/bottom is the issue, cause you can see the first model I printed (last 2 pics) was with only 1 solid top/bottom layer (0.4 mm) and lower infill (20% i think) and it printed better than the next one with higher quality settings.

I think it's narrowing down to the temperature. I'll try printing at 205º and putting another fan. But I don't know about the speed, should I print faster? maybe to avoid the heat trasnfer from the nozzle to the part.

Thanks tho! ;)

#3 BR3M3RB, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The lower infill (20%) is apparent mostly because the top layers are so thin :)

That may not be the problem you are really chasing, but it is there.

The "bubbling" effect you see is likely too hot*.

Remember that you can do visual troubleshooting in three other places:

----------------------
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

and :
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshooting_Pictorial_Guide

and :
    http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

In aggregate they cover a large range of issues (some are better than others).

*I say probably because there are a couple of other possibilities.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, if you have not calibrated your extruder you really should. Make sure you are extruding the correct amount of plastic.

6. BR3M3RB

BR3M3RB New Member

Thanks Mark

Just one last question.. would you keep the last layer at 50ish mm/sec or faster due to the heat transfer?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should not need to change the speed if everything is working correctly. In fact is you change speed it is usually much earlier than the last layer. Many people run the first 2-3 layers slower to insure good adhesion and then pick up the pace. 50% underspeed is not uncommon for the firstlayer or even the first few.

Check your temperatures... those are very printer and environment specific. In one room I have printers who print PLA best at 185 and another that does it best at 195 and yet another at 210... there are 4 FDM printers that all have different profiles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk