1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tumbler for non Metal filament?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Darren Ortego, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Has anyone tried to use a tumbler on non metal filaments, Like PLA or ABS to try and get smooth layer lines Ive looked around online and its kinda been talked about but nothing in detail. Has anyone here tried it and if so would love to see some picture results.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, interesting idea. We have used the tumbler for Brassfil, Bronzefil, Copperfil, Iron and steel.
    Nothing non-metallic really.

I don't have layer lines to speak of. Not usually :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What would you tumble them with? Polishing grit of some sort or metal hardware (like nuts, bolts, etc)?

4. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

I dont know a whole lot about this, seems ceramic is the going thing and how do you get no layer lines lol :(. I'm making something for a friend and trying to put a paint and clear coat on it but can not get a print to production quality or even close. I have tried acetone but its to inconsistent for me, thought this could be a solution may take some time though.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ceramic beads or the like might work. You would just need to experiment.

You should be able to get the printer tuned to where you don't have 'lines' that will show through paint. Sure, getting rid of the visible layers in something like PLA is really tough, but a coat of paint should cover that right up.

If you are getting ribbing that comes through a layer of paint you definitely can tune that puppy up :)

If it is mostly Z artifacts then the new linear Z axis replacement is a win. There are a lot of less drastic ideas in the Z ribbing thread some of which may help, but the replacement Z rods/drive should make it vanish.

If is is another axis (X or Y obviously) then bearings or belts (or drive cogs, etc.) need to be looked at.

6. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Can I post a picture later, I have tons of questions. I been researching and trying to learn I'm printing with mostl ABS as the printer I bought came with 3 2.2kg spools. As for the tumbler I will let you know if it helps.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, post a pic. We can always come up with ideas from a picture :)

(occasionally they are even good ideas)

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is a blog somewhere, where the poster did exactly this with non-metallic filament, I think he used brass and stainless screws and wound up with different types of finishes. It was interesting and I might try it someday.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

10. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Here is one issue and im sure its a setting just not sure how to do it how do I close the bottom of my prints? and u can see some layer lines in here as well. Thanks for the link Waldo

[​IMG]

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would start by adding more top and bottom layers.
    If you are running everything defaults (0.4 nozzle and default settings for most slicers) then you have a 0.2 layer height and either 2 or 3 of them at the top and bottom

MATH ALERT:
    0.2 x 3 (best default case)
    -> 0.6mm

Now, 0.6 mm is not much. Heck 1 mm is not a lot. Try changing that to give yourself at least a 1 mm 'shell' (you might want to sanity check your # of shells--side layers--in your slicer as well).

Make that 3 top/bottom into a 6 and see if there is an improvement.

12. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Awesome, I believe your right currently My top is 1.2 and I believe bottom is .6 yes everything is default I'l give this a shot and see how it makes out.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd say media blasting with plastic would be quicker and more effective

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Yeah, I thought about media blasting I can get a tumbler for much cheaper so thought I would give it a go first. Plus I heard that shapeway uses a vibratory tumbler to finish parts. those look great tho

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Shapeways does and they use ceramic bits. Every once in a while there will be a ceramic pellet stuck inside a part from Shapeways.. Besides @Mike Kelly's pictures there was an Indestructibles article that showed off some parts media blasted. If you don't have a media blast cabinet, you can do it outdoors, just bear in mind that your blast media will get all over the place.

#15 WheresWaldo, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Including places you will regret later.

(just sayin')

17. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Lol if this don't get the results I want that's the next step. I need to get this printer to Cooperate with me also.

18. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Ive used spray auto body filler primer to great effect. A few layers of spray, then sand it smooth and add whatever paint you want. The better results you get from your printer, the less layers of primer you will need. Here's a link to what I did with it http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Stone-Head/

19. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

I actually tried bondo lol (big mess), With primer how did you sand it after to get a nice finish? On a complex shape its really hard to get a even looking part that's the issue im having

20. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

I just used 200 grit sandpaper. I agree that with complex shapes it would be more difficult, but the primer ends up being much easier to sand than wood or plastic, and after it's smooth you could easily spray another color over it. Folding the sandpaper into points and strips would allow you into the grooves, it doesn't take much. Give it a shot. I got the cheap spray on filler primer from harbor freight. No complaints.