1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

"tutorial" mid print filament change

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by janot928, Sep 27, 2015.

1. janot928

janot928 Active Member

Hey I've made a few experiments during my last print and i've learned a few things that could help you.

the only requirement for my methode is to have acces to the Gcode terminal for your printer (mattercontrol/simplify3d/octoprint/...)

step 1:

pause the print (i do not know the G or M code for that)
    release the motors (command M18)
    replace the filament
    do not worry about moving the print head in this step

Optional: you can hand extrude a few mm to get out of the old plastic

run a Homing axis X and Y (G28 X0 Y0)

unpause the print, and tada you have just change your filamant.

Warnings: I have not tried this with the auto bed conpensation enable so watch out for this.
    Make sure that you X switch isn't moving and that there is no cable in the way that could cause a bad homing.

have fun :D

edit: if you are using dual extruder this won't work or you will have to enter the offset of your second extruder again

#1 janot928, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. WorkableRobo3dR1Plus

Thanks! I'll be sure to give this a go when I get my 3d printer up and running again. Also, do you happen to know the gcode command to raise the z axis by a little bit? Maybe 10mm? I need it for testing purposes, thanks!!

3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

G91 (relative position)
    G1 Z10 (moove 10 mm above curent position)

but then i do not know what you need to do to get your print up and running again
    an other way would be to take a dummy height like 100 and just do a G1 Z100

4. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

If you add a cheap LCD, there is a filament change command built in.
    It stops when you hit the command from the LCD screen, moves the head up a bit, slides the bed back, moves the head to the left, then locks the axis so you dont bump it, then it retracts the old filament and beeps at you letting you know it is okay to load the new filament in. Once you load the new filament and purge a bit, hit the LCD screen wheel and it will automatically go back to where it left off.

Much easier than trying to punch commands into MatterControl, plus, adding a cheap LCD screen will allow you to print without having the computer on all the time (uses and SD card, but you can still print with a computer if you want)

Mike Toole likes this.
  5. Tonya Strait

Tonya Strait New Member

I'll be sure to give this a go when I get my 3d printer up and running again. Also, do you happen to know the gcode command to raise the z axis by a little bit? Maybe 10mm? I need it for testing purposes, thanks!!

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

G91 ; relative movements
    G1 Z10 ; Z up 10mm