1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrading to E3d and other questions

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by David Ahlzadeh, Dec 21, 2014.

1. David Ahlzadeh

David Ahlzadeh New Member

I have a couple of questions to ask the Robo 3D community, the first is...
    1. E3D HOTENDS: I want to upgrade my hot end to a E3D because it is almost impossible for me to print with ninjaflex with the stock components of the Robo 3D. Price isn't an issue to me but I also want to be able to print multiple colors of PLA or ABS at the same time. So I was thinking of either buying the Chimera or the Kraken but when you buy the full kit for either of these two, do you have to do any other upgrades or modifications to your printer?

2. POWER SWITCH STUCK: The power switch on the back of my printer stopped working and when press I down it just goes right back to the on position. I read that you have to pop it out and put it back in. But what does it mean by "pop it out?" Lately I've been having to unplug my printer from the outlet just to shut it off. Any pictures of this process or examples would be helpful too.

3. BRONZE ABS: I want to buy bronze ABS from amazon but I am not sure if it work or not. It would assume that it would work because it is mostly ABS. But I didn't know if because it was bronze if you had to do anything special to it or not. Some advice on that would be great too. Here is the link to the bronze fillament http://www.amazon.com/Zen-ToolworksTM-Printer-1-75mm-Filament/dp/B00JTGDPJY/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

4. THE NEW R2: I know that this probably wont happen but I was wondering if because I just bought my printer 4 months if they would allow me to return my printer and allow me to preorder the new R2 for whatever the price is. I would pay for the restocking fees and shipping fees and the difference in price from the new R2 to the old R1. Or another option for me would to be sell my printer on craigslist or eBay and then just pre-order the new R2 in the summer 2015. Or I could just keep the R1 and and buy the R2 then I would have an extra printer I really wouldn't need.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can only (partly) speak to #3, I have used Bronzfill (but that is PLA based rather than ABS) and it works fine. Print it as you would normal filament. The only caution is to let it cool down after printing... it is subject to bending easily while hot.

Also, upgrading to E3D will not in and of itself solve the NijaFlex issue. I have printed it with an E3D v5, but you need to tweak how it feeds to get it working... I think this is all in the NijaFlex thread...

2 people like this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) Check my thread here: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...ormation-installation-guides-and-review.3407/

Upgrading to the Chimera or Kraken is pretty complex. You'd need at the minimum to replace the carriage or drill holes in it.

2) there's 2 screws holding in the switch. Then on the inside it has to latches that you compress in, then push outwards.

3) no it's fine

4) I think you're out of the return period. Better to sell your printer and buy a new one if you want. I doubt the R2 is very close to getting.

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

On your number 3: that's just bronze colored ABS. No bronze in it. It should print like whatever other ABS you are using.

2 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want what is effectively bronze printed... look at BronzeFill.

ColorFabb made it, not sure if @Printed Solid still stocks it.

2 people like this.
  6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

3 people like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Having printed with the BronzeFill I am a huge fan. Woodfill too for that matter, but the BronzeFill is the cat's meow.

3 people like this.
  8. David Ahlzadeh

David Ahlzadeh New Member

Ok I'll look into the bronzefill, but I'm still undecided on what extruder to upgrade too. Definetely don't want the stock hotend anymore as I can't print with ninja flex. I would imagine kraken would be very difficult to set up. I also don't know how well chimera would work with ninja flex. But I also want to be able to print multiple colors of PLA. Any suggestions?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

??

I have done it with the E3D and I can't imagine that the Hexagon is that different. See the thread where I discussed using the plastic tube to get it working. That same approach should work with the Hex.