1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Useful Tools

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Mar 20, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

many of the mods I have used are now incorporated into the printers being sent out now so you should get all the best ones

2. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

cool. any LCD screens. this website bothers e becuase in accessories there are us,ess things like stickers. I want spare gears and gear schematics for printer cool gears and extruder spears. spare spool holders. BETA items that you can try at your own risk. sorry but that they open source is amazing and I think I would fall in love with this company if they did so. heated build plate upgrade kits.

where can I get LCD controllers for printer so I do not need computer?

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

almost all of the information you are asking is located in this forum I would recommend doing searches for the specific items you are looking for. I am happy to answer specific question that may not be hear or if you can't find them but a lot of what you ask is common and is covered in other locations

There is a person here is name is Printed Solid that is selling a good one in fact it is the robo recommended one. Since you are in the UK I am not sure what the shipping would be but I think the base price is US$69 or close

4. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

ok. thanks. can I upload videos to the forum. e.g. when I get the printer and it makes a weird noise after two months will you guys help me out?

will the company help me if the board is fried or will they not care becuase I'm past the 30 day warranty thing

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you will find that almost any of the members can give you advice or assistance the ones that show up regularly you will see the most and probably give higher quality answers but NOTE that many issues are due to multiple things going on and could have multiple resolution that work so could be considered correct but some may not be as complete as others so listen to all the viewpoints you can or want to but the final actions are you since it is your printer. The robo guys are pretty good about getting replacement parts to you if indeed it was a maufacturing issue but things do occasionally break with normal use and I could not expect them to replace for every little thing.

Most users supply pics to assist in the resolution to problems and they work fine. Video usually take up too much space so links to videos are suggested

6. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

ok. thanks

7. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

This is going to sound like a noob question, but can you please explain the purpose of the recommended items?

I can understand what the tweezers are for, the spatula is again something that makes sense...... The rest i have no idea :)

2 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Here are the reasons to have these

-Dial indicator (analog) --- to make measurements of the bed in different locations to help get teh bed level
    -Digital Calipers --- used to measure object you may want to model ands to check accuracy of the printed items
    -Cricut spatula --- to aid in remocal of print from bed to help remove excess material
    -Jars for your ABS glue --- ABS glue or slurry (mix of abs filament and acetone) can be used to help hold down ABS prints.
    -Blue painters tape --- also used by fewer and fewer people to help hold down parts
    -Acetone --- used for cleaning especially when dealing with ABS and for ABS polishing
    -Aquanet hair spray --- used by more and more people to hold down part to the bed surface
    -A nice firm level place to mount it. ---self explanatory
    -activated carbon air filter --- some people are bothered by fumes and tiny parts of palstic
    -Flowers for your significant other (you're going to be spending some time in the doghouse for devoting too much time to your new hobby) --- just to keep sure you can continue to print
    -Coffee (for when you need to keep going) --- see previous reponse
    -Beer (or something harder for when you're so incredibly frustrated because your print failed for the 4th time in a row) --- see previous previous response
    -c-clamps/vice for gluing parts together -- if you need to make part out of multiple pieces this helps when you put them together
    -exacto knife --- help in trimming excess plastic

6 people like this.
  9. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Many thanks for the explanation and for the smile :)

10. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

BossHoss likes this.
  12. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

I've been using one of those quite a bit, Mike. You can estimate if you're up to temp by how stable the reading is. (check it once ever 20 seconds, if within half a degree Celsius, you're golden).

13. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Im sorry to put this up but cant find it on the forums!

One of you fine chaps made some bed levelling things on thingiverse and i cant for the life of me fine them on here or there... does anyone have a link?

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

16. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Thanking you Kindly!

Printed i searched for you and it didnt come up... might be worth adding to the collection?

has anyone used the Z stabilisers? did they make a difference?

17. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

tompeel1 have you seen the barnacules video? He does a review on them.

18. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

I hadn't but have now thanks!

They were not the z holders I was on about but look better so will print them in the morning!

Lots of good stuff in there, E3D print head was ordered this morning (couldn't get through on the phone though :( )
    Wanted a thermo couple mainly for testing for another project...

There are a few otherthings like spool holder and securin the extruder I will also do.

Has anyone thought about a z probe firethe robo yet? Im researching that atm

Also keen to bowden the extruder mount it on the base somewhere to reduce the weight if the sled ( originally wanted to do this to make space for another extruder head but now couldn't give 2 hoots about multi colour!)

I think they would be real nice upgrades Oh and a non screwdriver dependant extruder to change the material

19. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

tompeel1, you've seen the Robo 3D User's FAQ, right? The bed levelers are referenced there too.

http://melodybliss.org/robo3d/

Look at section B.2.

20. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Yep yep Thanks found your page the other day! Very helpful already did the X level I'm just getting squashed prints on anything long along the y axis fixed this last night by chainging the orientation Of my print but that's temporary.

Z probing looks from the videos like the Ideal lazy man's solution