1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Very Dissapointed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Walker, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Michael Walker

I received my RBOBO 3d R1 + today and it was whacked out the right side looked like it was banged even though not any major damage to shipping, the orange lock on the right side was Wacked as was a plastic support, seems cheaper than my metal ones but maybe that a good thing since you can print parts maybe lol ..

Attached Files:

#1 Michael Walker, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the one thats hanging out way in the air with the orange piece disconnected, gently push it back down. There brass colored nut fits inside of it. You will likely have to wiggle and turn the leadscrew (threaded rod) on that side to get it all to go back togather. This is not uncommon to happen both in shipping and time to time in use.

3. Michael Walker

Yes i was able to push it back into place, how do i know if one side is to much higher than the other or will it adjust itself, I eye balled it and turn the lead screw till both sides look even, but did not measure it..

#3 Michael Walker, Sep 28, 2017
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The autoleveling should sort it out if they are close. Otherwise you manually level it.
    You do that with the power off by sliding the nozzle/extruder around manually and make sure that it is about one sheet of paper from the bed across the middle. So with it powered on drop the nozzle on one side until it is just touching a sheet of paper (and you can feel a bit of resistance sliding it under) then power down and slide the nozzle to the other side and see if it is the same. If not hold one threaded rod while you manually turn the other to get it to the same height.

Last thing is to check that neither of the Z switches are out of position up against the crossbar and if not you are good. Let autoleveling deal with the rest.

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A full manual leveling of the entire bed is always better, but that is more involved and requires shimming the bed as well as testing a lot more points. You should be OK with the procedure I described and the autoleveling

Geof likes this.
  6. Michael Walker

It's alive!!!!!!!!!! yeh wow! nice so far doing the calibration Box... I love the auto Leveling feature way better than my other printers which were manual.. I think i just fell in Love...was so scared before whew! after what I have been though with busted printers being delivered lately..

danzca6, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Michael Walker

Well it printed a small box fine this morning, came back and it cannot even print the Matter Coin, like the filament is not coming out? it was fine, so i had an appointment, then came back hours later and it like prints little bit of plastic and stops, maybe thats why it was a refurb i guess.. any ideas? its like it is not extruding plastic, and i did nothing but come back later in the day to print something as i was all excited to do so, again what a disappointment.. geez... lol

#7 Michael Walker, Sep 28, 2017
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Michael, are you printing with the supplied Robo blue filament? PLA has a nasty habit of becoming stickier when it is heated. It could be something as simple as adding an oiler, if you can't print an oiler then heat up the extruder and pull the filament out. Take a paper towel and put some canola oil on it, not too much just enough to rub on the filament. Swipe about 12 inches of the filament end and ten feed it back through. Extruder that 12 inches at a higher temp than you might normally. If you are using 205°C as an example, try 225°C. that will season the nozzle. Same theory as seasoning a cast iron skillet. That will help prevent the micro clogging that is typical of PLA filament and its derivatives.

9. Michael Walker

Yes I am using it...now it's not printing any filament out...I read the troubleshooting and it looks like it was grinding, now I am afraid the nozzle is clogged maybe? how do i clean the clog? still run the oilers piece of players thru then? it seems like it is not grabbing the filament if i turn the wheel gear and it said in the book that the hotbed tenth need to be cleaned as they are filled with plastic shavings? how do you clean that?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The tension is set on the back of the gregs wage (the hinge you pull back on to insert filament). There are 2 screws. To get to the hobbled bolt you remove those 2 screws and you'll see it there. You clean it by using a toothpic, toothbrush, dental pic whatever you have around that can clean debris out from the teeth. If its grinding filament I'd look more into removing what is ground and running new through with newly set sprint tention and a cleaned hobbled bolt then go from there.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Simple to clean out a clog, but you need the right tools, a 16 mm open end spanner and a 7 mm socket wrench. Heat up the hotend, use the 16 mm to hold the aluminum block and the 7 mm socket to remove the nozzle. A torch will burn out the excess material inside the nozzle.

I generally no longer clean nozzles. Nozzles are consumables and wear with use. You can buy multi-pack nozzles, cheap from Amazon with Prime shipping, not an endorsement just an example listed below.

5 Pack 0.4 mm brass nozzle

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Some people like Amazon since it makes Jeff Bezos richer. Ships from US not Hong Kong.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A hot enough torch will melt the offending nozzle (ask me how I know...)

15. Michael Walker

ok this is interesting, it extrudes filament when I hand turn the gear, and if I use the + Extruder, I turned it up to like 260 and hand moved the gear came out fine...but when I try to print the coin, nothing comes out? how does that happen?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One way that happens is that the tip of the nozzle is too close to the bed (too much backpressure).
    Needs a higher Z offset in that case.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Is it just not turning or is it turning but clicking or just not extruding?

18. Michael Walker

the wheel is turning just fine, i do hear an occasional click, im thinking that is the retraction maybe, of course i am not sure.. but i see the gear turning and it is not extruding.. when it printed that Calibration Box just fine yesterday like i said, then went back to print the back of the case for the graphics display and no extruding, then tried the coin, no extruding..

19. Michael Walker

Well success! apparently the temp was not set? it thought that was automatic somehow, do you always have to set the target temperature in Matter controls? is there a default setting for place lets say? it was set at 0 so i put 210 and walk it printed the coin

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll let someone who uses mattercontrol speak to how it works.
    @Geof ? @WheresWaldo ?