1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Darkest, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Darkest

Darkest Member

I am trying to do this print as part of an armor but every time i print it even if i change the filling it comes like this (See pictures). I need it to print like it looks on Cura but is not working. I am printing it small to save filament on testing.
    The file is here if anyone wanna see it and can tell me what i am doing wrong.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofbtb5633gnh6tj/Test.amf?dl=0

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Are you deliberately stopping the print before it finishes?, All it looks like you have printed is the support material, and not the actual part.

Cura thinks your filament diameter is 2.85 mm not 1.75 mm that it might actually be.

3. Darkest

Darkest Member

No i am not stopping it i let it finish. I prepare it on Cura , safe it and print it using Matter Control. Did not see about the filament size tho

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

And it thinks your nozzle is 0.46 mm not the 0.4 mm supplied by Robo3D.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

so are you just doing the resizing in Cura and saving the model, but doing the slicing in MC? Just trying to figure out your process. WW is correct. If you are slicing in Cura, you have to change it to be setup for the Robo.

6. Darkest

Darkest Member

On Cura I selected the Bobo R1 for the set up and it did it by itself but i just fixed the nozzle size and the filament size in Cura and still does the same. I use Cura to get it to size and applying the support then i save it and use Matter control to print it.

7. Darkest

Darkest Member

Redid everything but this time with the correct numbers on Cura. Printing now and looks like is doing ok i will post results

8. danzca6

Well if you are doing supports in Cura, makes me think you are saving off the g-code and then printing in MC using that G-code. Why not just print using Cura at that point?

9. danzca6

also, the pic in Cura, makes it look like the model is in the air a bit. Is there something under it in the model that makes it look like it is floating? If not, then adjust it down to the bed. saves some support that way.

10. Darkest

Darkest Member

OK it finished but as you see in the pictures on the side some part did not print or fill.

Attached Files:

11. Darkest

Darkest Member

Still not working

12. Darkest

Darkest Member

I try to but it does not start the print dont know why. Is stays at preheating but it does not heat up.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So here is something I have noticed in the past about resizing in your slicer of choice. Every once in awhile your resize will cause the model shell to not slice correctly. It has happened to me in every slicer I have tried, Slic3r, Cura and Simplify3D. If the slicer thinks the shell is too thin to print it will simply not include code to print it. You will almost always get better results if you resize the 3D model in it's source format.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. Darkest

Darkest Member

Ok ill try it tomorow and let you know thanks.

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, nozzle diameter (or more correctly extrusion width) and layer and shell sizes are all, to some extent, going to impact this.
    You can create what I like to call 'impossible' slice settings. The math falls down when the slicer tackles them. Maybe your walls are too thin for the slicer to consider them a printable part... there are other conditions that can occur as part of the slice that are similar.

Most software in most cases will just opt to not print the impossible sections. Slic3r used to be pretty consistent with that by exploding on this so glad it got better at that :)

A review of the sliced output layers is always a good thing.

danzca6 likes this.
  16. Darkest

Darkest Member

Omg i fix the print with netfabb autofix but now i cannot print it because it does not stay glued to the bed. This is kinda frustrating lol. I have tried nothing on the bed, the glues tick it came with the robo and hairspray and still some corners do not stay glued to the bed omg what now?

17. danzca6

Welcome to 3d printing. It can be a lot more than just selecting a file and pressing print. What's your setting for speed? Might need to slow it down a bit. And I take it you are still printing with supports in the same orientation. I only use hairspray. Normally spray during warm up and make sure it's dry before printing. What temps are you running? I run 200 for the hot end and 50 for the bed with most PLA. Looks like you are still using the Robo blue that came with it.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is ABS then this is not unusual.
    If it is PLA then it is a bit odd (unless you are printing way hot) perhaps bad filament.

It has been said many times on the forum DO NOT USE THE BLUE SAMPLE FILAMENT. The stuff that came with the Robo.
    Not if you want a successful print at least :)

19. Darkest

Darkest Member

I ran out of filamrnt but in 2 days i get more ill post results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. danzca6

do you have a link to the model you are trying to print? I'd like to see if I can print it alright or if it is something in the model.