1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What model NEMA 17 stepper motor should I get?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jhenager1, Sep 2, 2016.

1. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I'm putting together a replacement extruder assembly and want to do a direct swap in case I need to go back to the original, but did not realize how many different stepper motors are out there.
    Can someone post a link to one that is known to be compatible as to wiring, size, speed, voltage, torque, etc.? Thanks!

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Take the model number off of your current motor and google it. You should find a hit on what is already there. Something like this should be pretty close to what comes stock as far as torque and size. It is hard wired. If you prefer one that can be unplugged at the motor and not just at the board, you might have to look further. I believe the extruder motor is oversized for the Robo and the reason is because they just buy in bulk and use the same stepper on all axis. With the exception of the Z axis now that they have the leadscrew built into the motor. Just make sure the shaft shape is correct to what you need. The extruder normally needs a "D" shaped shaft for the gear and the grub screw to secure it.

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/3d...er-motor-2a-45ncm64ozin-17hs162004s-p-16.html

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have to have a direct replacement and are concerned with the wiring you can buy a stepper from robo. I think their 14.00 usd each. No wires included.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Do you have to call them because I see nothing on their site.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is the best way to get in touch with Robo.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yessir give them a call. They were listed in the store way back. I bought a couple for a guys printer i worked on a few months ago and has to call/email. The last thing i bought took about 2 weeks to get here .

8. shanghen21

shanghen21 New Member

#8 shanghen21, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024