1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's everyone thoughts on AUTOCAD for 3d Modeling?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kirk, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

It looks like it would be very precise but might be more for 2d not 3d. looks very interesting....and expensive.....but is it even any good for 3d modeling?....what's its limitation's?

Just looking for opinions, peoples knowledge and experience with this product.

Thanks

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I consider autocad to be a 2D design and detailing program, but some people do use it for modeling. If you're just learning with the intent of getting into 3D modeling, that's probably not the way to go.

2 people like this.
  3. Kirk

Kirk Member

I have used and use a few different programs the each have there own benefit but mostly use Google sketch and or hexagon (yeah I know it's pretty unstable) trying to find a good 3d modeling program that incorporates accuracy and natural/freeform......if there is such a software out there:-\

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I prefer SolidWorks.

4 people like this.
  6. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

I've been using Blender 3D. Which isn't really the best for technical designs, but it mostly wells works for what I'm doing.

7. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

like any tool, the more you use it, the more proficient you get. Here's one of my AutoCAD renders...
    [​IMG]

8. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

i stopped using autocrud the day Dussault released the first version of Solidworks and never looked back.

But then, I do machine design. If you do landscaping, schematics, or the last tool you used was a T-Square.. autocad might be OK.

3 people like this.
  9. Cathy Hadley

Cathy Hadley New Member

I'm using Autodesk Revit with pretty good results so far.

10. Chris A

Chris A Member

My boys and I use Tinkercad.com, owned by autodesk. Easy to get started, and exports STL files directly from the website. I suspect it's not up to intricate multipart designs, but VERY easy to get results quickly.

One of my sons also uses blender.

11. Sasabs

Sasabs New Member

I am happy with turbocad. Does most things I need. Easy to create 3d printable models. I also use several different programs occasionally like meshmixer for organic type designs. Zbrush is great but $$$$

12. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I've been using Autodesk Inventor after using Sketchup for a long time. I really like Inventor's flexibility but ability to go back and modify through the creation steps. (It tracks each change as you go along so you can modify one thing and help it understand how to modify the following features)

13. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

i use solidworks but i really like 123d design by autodesk . It has very similar features to solidworks and make 3d parts very fast. For free it pretty powerful.

14. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

I have autoCAD 2014 and I highly recommend it. You start out drawing basic 2d shapes and then learn how to turn those into 3d objects and manipulate them. I use is almost every day for drawing up small parts to print or big projects.

AutoCAD Is very very powerful in combination with a 3D printer. Here's a project that I drew up in CAD less than a week ago:

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 9.06.24 AM.png

20150328_090706.jpg

If you are a student, you can get AutoCAD for free from autodesk student. There are dozens of different autodesk programs available through the program including inventor, auto cad, auto cad for mac, etc.

#14 1nxtmonster, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.