1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Where can I find the stl for the 20mm fan shroud?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bamhm182, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

So I've had my Robo 3d for a few days now and, surprisingly, things have been going really well. The only real complaint I've had comes from the 20mm fan. When I first got it, it was constantly making a clicking noise, so I figured it was on its way out. I took the fan shroud off the extruder and noticed it was missing the top two screws. I took the bottom two screws off to remove the fan from the shroud and the clicking stopped. I found out that it clicks a lot less if the screws are in the top holes than if they're in the bottom, so that's where they are right now. I looked through my collection of screws and didn't have one that matched the stock screw close enough, so there's still just two. So I was wondering if anyone had the stl for the fan shroud so I could either make the holes slightly bigger to accommodate a slightly larger screw, or maybe add some sort of clip to stabilize it.

Also, when I was tightening the screws, the plastic screw hole on the fan began to crack, so I'm thinking about replacing the fan anyways. Does anyone have any recommendations on a fan? I'd prefer one that's slightly quieter as this one makes quite a bit of noise for such a small fan.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. It doesn't seem like part the shroud touches gets too hot, so I'm assuming it would be fine to make it out of PLA. What do you think?

#1 bamhm182, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Rob Stachowicz

Rob Stachowicz New Member

My fan just died .. Mine does not have all 4 screws either (not sure it is supposed to). Anyway .. thought I'd share. Can't print a thing now. Ugh.

3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

You can pick up fans on Amazon, or a wide variety of other websites for pretty cheap. The dimensions of the stock fan are 25x25x10 mm, so anything with those dimensions should work. The leads on the fan are pretty long, so odds are you wouldn't be able to find one that long, but you could probably get away with cutting the leads near the stock fan and soldering the new fan's leads to it.

I want this fan from mouser, since it's supposed to be dead quiet and still move a ton of air, but $25 for a fan is a lot, IMO. On the other hand, it's an important fan, so it'd probably be a good idea to not skimp out on it.

4. Rob Stachowicz

That does look like a nice fan .. 12 weeks backordered (lead time).... Not gonna work for me :)

Found a decent replacement on Amazon. Just hoping that this failed fan hasn't damaged anything else. I didn't notice the fan being inoperable until a print failed - so, who knows how long it was running without it.

5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Oh, I didn't see that. Maybe I'll have to pass on that one too. Got a link for the one you decided to get?

6. Rob Stachowicz

Would still be a nice buy when available... Here's the fan to find on Amazon :
    Evercool 25mmX10mm fan

7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Since I couldn't find the original stl, I decided to make one on my own. I'm just about to start printing it now, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I tried to put in M3 screw holes instead of whatever size screws are currently being used since I have a handful of M3s.

EDIT: The first time I tried printing it, I printed it with the top of the shroud on the bed, it ended up being about 23mm x 25mm, so obviously the fan wouldn't fit on it. Tried printing it face down, but stopped pretty quick into it because I noticed it was using a grid for the support material. The holes were also too small, so I increased their size and am giving it another go. Hopefully it'll work this time.

EDIT 2: Almost got it, there's just a few issues. The holes are very slightly off of where they need to be and the part that actually clips onto the extruder is too big, so it won't actually stay put. Neither of those will be hard to fix though. The only other issue is that the heads on the screws I have are too thick to be placed in the top holes, so I'll need to use the Robo 3D's stock screws there. For now though, it's 1 AM and I have to get up for work in 4 hours. Going to call it a night. If any veterans see this, would you mind giving me yours two cents on using PLA vs ABS for this piece? All I have at the moment is PLA and I have no idea if it will get hot enough to cause issues.

#7 bamhm182, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

9. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Haha, after all that work I put into copying the one that came with my printer! Haha. Oh well, I learned a lot about Blender and like the design of this one more. I don't know how I didn't find RoBo3D's Thingiverse page in my searches.

Any word on if I need to print it with ABS, or should PLA work fine?

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either should be fine, that part of the hotend is not the hot one...

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Generally best to do printer parts that are near the heated bed in ABS because PLA has a lower transition point. That said this'll work fine with PLA.

12. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the input, guys. I just got word this morning from Jerry that they're going to be sending me a new fan, and with the new fan, this new shroud. Apparently they just recently switched to a higher quality vendor for their fans.

3 people like this.
  13. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

What luck we are having with this fan! Mine just seized up tonight. I submitted a ticket with Robo, but will probably buy another and keep the Robo replacement as backup.

What voltage is the fan? 12v or 5v?

2 people like this.
  14. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I'm not 100% sure, honestly. When I do the swap after getting my new fan, I'll hook my multimeter up to it and tell you for sure. I want to say it's a 12v, but due to how small it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 5v. @Mike Kelly, do you have a definite answer on this?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's a 12v fan

2 people like this.
  16. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Finally got my new fan shroud to print well at the correct height after a handful of failures. ^_^ Now I'm just waiting for my new fan to come in. I'll probably end up using the fan shroud they're sending me, but it was fun getting it to print correctly.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Aaroneus

Aaroneus New Member

That's great! I don't know about the newer design of fan shroud. Seems like it's counter productive to angle it up only to be directed at the heatsink.
    The design does look more stable though. Does it hold solidly to the heatsink?

18. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I know what you mean. It also seems like it would pull heat off of the bed and put it on the heatsink. I love how solid it is though. My fan rattles, so it kept coming a little loose from the heat sink with the old design and I'd have to keep checking it to make sure it was fully on there. With this design, that's 100% off my mind. The best part about it is that it doesn't hold onto the heat sink. It screws into the carriage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.