1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Working on an E3D Titan Mount

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I haven't printed this yet but I have a model of a replacement top section of the extruder that will mount a E3D Titan extruder. It is not finished yet, but it is close. If anyone is interested here is the model. I am making it downloadable directly from A360 so anyone can play with it. Fusion 360 may be required.
    Extruder Top for Titan v2.png
    This is a work in progress. http://a360.co/2wcpfTQ

2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Wow, that's awesome, looking great!

Any particular reason you're looking to switch to a Titan? Are you having issues with the stock R2 extruder?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

because the hexagon is so 2015 ;) lol. Better gearing, less weight on the carriage. E3D has better overall performance than the standard hex hotends.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am not fond of the fact that I have no control over the tension against the filament plus I have this Titan in the box since I bought it to try to retrofit the R1 and newer got a chance to do it. The Titan seems like the perfect choice for the R2.

I will move this to a E3D but not sure yet if it will be a Volcano (I will lose 14 mm of build height if I do) or just an v6. But that is getting ahead of myself. After the Titan I will work on a solution for the fan duct. I have an idea that swaps the little and very noisy parts fan to radial fans. Much like these:
    [​IMG]

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That was what I recommended to the people with r2s. I even asked them to measure the opening where the small cold end fan is. Would be nice to slap one of those in there ( would need to be a small 30mm one) but way better and directed airflow assuming there is room to breath/intake.

6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Wow, a Titan + E3D V6 R2... (Perhaps a Titan Aero version if you're changing both anyway?)
    That sounds like it could print very nicely indeed.

It's going to take a while until I have the space for a second printer, so that I can actually build up the confidence to work on big mods such as this, that may leave the printer offline for a while. Will love to try some of this crazy stuff myself then :)

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Titan aero is not worth it in a gantry set up in my opinion. to deep, lose to much build volume. I think if it were me I'd do a V6 hotend with titan on top like waldo is doing or more likely I'd go bowden since the titan can drive flex just fine bowden :D. Even less weight on the carriage which is cool. Interesting to see what everyone will come up with for solutions for their R2 units.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I thought about trying it as a Bowden, that would make tuning a two extruder setup (which I have no interest in) much easier to tune. I may still do it that way. I thought if Bowden is the way I eventually go, the Bondtech extruder may even be a better choice. Going Bowden would be an easier thing to design, but would require rewiring the harness to move the Stepper wires to the back of the printer.

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/bmg-extruder.html

Titan Aero makes no sense for this application. to much work to adapt the design for no performance advantage over the plain Titan.

The Bondtech would work in place of the Titan if you already have this extruder.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Forgot to mention, this mod will also lighten the load on the X/Y rails as I have a 22 mm Nema 17 instead of using the much heavier 42 mm OEM stepper.

Geof likes this.
  10. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I just mentioned it in the sense that if you were planning to use a Titan and an E3D V6, well, the Titan Aero is pretty much just that. That said, keeping them separate is probably best on the R2, as Geof mentioned, for placement purposes.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the only machiens the aero really works well for (considering the space use ) is something large cartesion like the gmax, cr10, prusa i3 type machines. And even then it only really helps if there is a top to get in the way of the titan on the standard set up. I was suckered by new and shiny and bought 3 aeros...their still just sitting here lol!

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@sgomes There just isn't a way to mount it. It requires a complete redesign. The way I am planning this only requires the top section to be replaced.

If Robo hadn't designed the top section as one piece then this mod would be totally unnecessary. you could use practically any direct drive extruder you wanted. All I am doing is remodeling the top to how I think it should have been designed in the first place.

Geof likes this.
  13. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Interesting, looks like I need to disassemble my R2 at some point to get a better feel for how it all fits together.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I betya @WheresWaldo will document with pictures so you wont have to tear yours apart until your ready. He is pretty awesome about making things as stream line as possible.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I gotta get it designed first. I am on my second test print, the first one failed at about layer 250. But I did find out I had offset the filament hole my it's radius so I had to move it 2 mm.

Printing the top with UV Resin so that I can print it without any supports and it will be solid. If it works the way I think it will, I may post it on my Shapeways page so it can be printed with SLS technology rather than on an FDM printer.

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Second print failed too, I am using resin that had sat in the vat for two weeks. I think I need to put in fresh resin. I am going to finish the print anyway, wasn't a catastrophic failure so I can test fit some parts.

Ooh, maybe I'll print it in clear resin.:D

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This project has been temporarily postponed while I work on the hotend upgrade.

sgomes and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Redriche likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.