1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered X axis crashing on Robo3D R1 Plus

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joulethief, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joulethief

joulethief New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a Robo3D R1 Plus with Autoleveling. When I send G28 it homes correctly and as it should. I've tested each limit switch using M119. When the extruder is bumped into the X axis limit switch, it reads triggered, and so on with Y and Z.

When I run G29 to begin Autoleveling, It centers, then does a weird jerk, then moves to the right side (not where the limit switch is) and probes, then continues to run into the right side as seen in the video. I've been trying to research this a lot and find that people are having similar issues and it turns out their limit switches are not working, but mine are.
    There is no limit switch on the right side.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Steps I've done:
    Checked limit switches with M119
    G28 homes correctly

In the video first I type G28 to home, then I run G29. The video shows the wild X axis crashing.

Any help or ways to narrow down the cause would be greatly appreciated!
    Video can be found here (too big to be an attachment)

#1 joulethief, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

X axis switch is showing it was home on the slight move causing the autolevel sequence to start just off the center probe point.

joulethief likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

(your X axis switch is likely sticking and needs replaced- first guess. Could also be wiring and possibly ramps/arduino)

joulethief and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. joulethief

joulethief New Member

Wow can't believe I didn't think of that! I'll Ohm it out while performing a G29 command after work today and update this post with the results.

Geof likes this.
  5. joulethief

joulethief New Member

Sorry for the late response. I've been out of town. Watching the switch using my meter showed that the switch was only ever triggered when it should have. I had no false readings at all. Any other ideas what it could be?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

joulethief likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Something is causing it to get a false home trigger (see above list) or something is mechanically binding (loose gear or belt).
    There is nothing else really to go on. Do you get any messages in the gcode terminal that are helpful?

joulethief and Geof like this.
  8. joulethief

joulethief New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I meant to update my issue earlier but kept forgetting.
    Everyone was right about a wiring issue. The wires for the right side z-switch was underneath my heated bed, and the bottom of my bed is sagging, and the wires were stripped a little bit from the bed constantly rubbing against it for the past two years or so and it finally wore through. Whenever the bed was homing itself the sagging foam stuff under the bed would cause the wires to short in exactly that position. I applied heatshrink to the wires and taped them down to the top of the bottom of the printer. No more issues.
    Thank you everyone the replied and helped! This printer is still going strong after almost 2 years.

The two attached images show the sagging bed and type over the wires.

Attached Files:

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ah yea the bed sag! If you go to a hardware store and get some HVAC tape you can tape that sucker up real tight :D I do that to all my Robos :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.