1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered X axis not homing properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terrell Grant, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

If you look at the picture of the switch I posted. I tried moving the black wire to the open terminal. Because that is always closed until the switch is press. However that didn't change anything.

2. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

Just to be clear because I had a typo. My switch is reading closed until the switch is pressed same as your. I also try to wire it open until pressed same result. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks please help

3. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

I just tried changing my USB cable just to see if that my fix it. Still the same.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your correct I check continuity your checking ohms. I see my mix up lol. Hmm interesting issue. I'm drawing a blank other than making sure everything is secure on the arduino and that the fan is blowing on it all the time

5. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

When you watch the original video, when the X has to go back towards home, why doesn't the Z allow time for the X to travel? As soon as the Z goes up, it immediately goes back down, without giving the X time to travel. It only messes up on the 4th touch off point. If I can get past this point I can start a print. Any suggestions?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are the cog(timing pulleys) tight? Make sure they arnt slipping on the shaft. The video is hard to make out as it's not very clear but i do see it not going past that. What slicer are you using?

7. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

My X axis does not read home. If I am on Matter Control and I jog X to the center of the board, then click Home X, it moves to the opposite direction 5-10mm and then calls itself to be at 0. If I jog it Home, then try to Home X, I get the same result. The X moves away from home 5-10mm and calls itself home. Is there a way to start the print without doing the 9 point leveling process?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I would uninstall matter control reinstall then see what it does. The switch is the only way it knows where it's at and if the switch is in fact good then I'd lean towards a software issue. I

9. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

Yes its tight. If I move the belt by hand the head moves too. Should I post a new video? I'm not sure what a slicer is. Matter Control version 1.5.0 (Alessandro Ranellucci for Slic3r). Does this info help?

10. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

uninstalled and reinstalled matter control same. I didn't think that would work because again sometime it homes. I even tried to load it for my laptop still same issue. Should I try downloading Cura?

11. Terrell Grant

Terrell Grant New Member

Maybe this will help clear up the problem. The manual x controls work, however, when I try to home it, it just moves a little to the x+ direction.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Move it to the middle of the bed and issue this in the GCode console:

M119

See what it reports.
    Tell it to home the X and issue M119 again

See what it reports (and let us know how it moves).

13. D Wiley

D Wiley New Member

I have been having the same problem in the last few days and finally decided today to try to get things up and running again...Before finding this forum post, I had planned to go through all of the steps listed here previously. Upon your suggestion, I jumped straight to using M119.

At least on my end, I can confirm that M119 is returning TRIGGERED for x_min for some reason, regardless of the state of the switch...I have even completely disconnected the switch and it returns the same reading.

Edit: Movement-wise, it was the same as previously mentioned...It move a few mm along the X-Pos as it normally would if it was backing off after hitting the endstop.

EDIT AGAIN: Turns out I was not paying attention to the fact that the switches are wired as normally closed, as stated earlier in the thread...I disconnected the wires leading the the switch and reissued M119 while shorting the wires it returned x_min: open, so it looks like it is the switch that is too blame at least in my case...Going to pull it off and hit it with a meter.

#33 D Wiley, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good catch. That is the best way to test the endstops.

15. D Wiley

D Wiley New Member

Found the problem, at least with my equipment...

I pulled out the switch, did some testing on the terminals including some peak resistance checks while knocking the thing around a bit and the switch performed as expected with no more than about .5 ohms while closed...

So, I ran over the terminals with a wire brush and a little alcohol thinking that there may have just been some residue preventing a reliable connection...Put everything back in and it homed just fine...A few times...Ran M119 again and it was back to TRIGGERED for x_min..

Then, I played around with the wires a bit while issuing more M119s and it turned out that the weak point was where one of the terminal plugs connected to the actual wire...A quick squeeze with a pair of pliers to tighten that connection, and I have had no other issue...

Your experience may be different, but I am sure it will be something equally simple in the end...I really need to make myself a g-code cut sheet, because knowing M119 from the beginning would have made this a 10 minute fix.

mark tomlinson likes this.