1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved X-axis not moving freely

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Fart_Plume, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Right in the middle of a test box print my x axis changed in it's sound. after the print i checked it and it has become stiff and difficult to move. I've lubed it with 3 in 1 oil *linear bearings stepper motor and belt bearings) It's a little better but not as free moving as it was before the print. Are there know culprits that go out this quickly on a new machine?

2. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Is it difficult to move whether the printer is on or off?

3. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Well I just took it apart. Seems one of the linear bearings is missing most of the balls on one segment. I guess I need to put in for a replacement part, since it is less than two weeks old.

4. Marquis Johnson

Ouch, hope you get it in time

5. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

After seeing another thread with this same problem, I am beginning to wonder if Robo got a bad lot of bearings.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Could be, the ones in the bed/Y axis upgrade kit I got were crap.
    I replaced all of mine after a month. The good news is that the linear bearings are not terribly expensive.

The original X carriage bearings on the other hand are fine.

7. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

I was just looking at a deal 12 lm8uu and 6 608 bearings for $23. Seems like it might be a good idea to have spares on hand.

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Spares for the 3D printer? I have a case full* ;)
    Highly recommended.

*(spare for nearly everything)

9. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

My first one, so I'm learnin' through thhe school of hard knocks which parts I need to have on hand, lol

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's some discrepancy on if the bearings are bad or if the smooth rods are too large.

I think their most recent order of bearings had some bad ones. Though we'd need some people with issues to measure the rods.

11. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

one rod (the one with the bad bearing) measures 7.89mm. The other one measures 7.93mm, according to my digital calipers.
    (accurate to .0005 inch)

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

As long as it's under 8mm we're good. Just if it's over 8mm it could result in binding.

13. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

I think part of the problem is that if the x drive pulley is not aligned correctly it causes the belt to torque the X-carriage when traveling. This will be worse when moving in the positive direction since the belt length is shorter on that side. ( I noticed this while I had the cover off and checking the movement before I disassembled to inspect the bearings)

14. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Got some new bearings in yesterday, so this morning I decided to put in a new set. While I have it apart I checked the diameter of the culprit rod. Seems the rod diameter varies up to .010 of an inch up and down the rod and over the diameter as you rotate it, so the rods are not round, nor are they consistent down the length.
    Even the new bearings I got in, ( not from robo3d) at least one of them has missing balls in one of the tracks, so be sure to check your bearings before you install them.

15. krzydmnd

krzydmnd New Member

how do you remove the linear X bearings?? I'm assuming you can't push them both out from the same side?

16. Marquis Johnson

When I upgraded my X-Carriage with the chain I had to remove them, and I used this method from this video, helped a lot.

17. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Do not pound the bearings out. Go to Thingiverse and print this:http://www.thingiverse.com/make:126859.
    Basica;;y your using a 1/4-20 carriage head bolt to pull the bearings out. If your printer is down, then find an appropriate sized socket to use for a puller.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Marquis Johnson

Oh, I agree, don't smash them out, but I used a bolt and my hand to add pressure, they popped right out.

19. krzydmnd

krzydmnd New Member

as an FYI, per Robo3D support team, I used a #10 socket and a small hobby hammer and it worked perfectly.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you're just replacing the bearing I push both through from the same side so the bad ones pop out the other end. I'd use a vise and a tube/pipe for receiving the bearings.