1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I'm having problem with my y axis. When I start a print the hot end goes to the center of the bed, like it should, the Z axis looks good, and the x axis looks good, when it starts to do it's bed leveling, instead of starting at the front of the bed, it starts in the center. It does the 9 point bed leveling. By starting in the center, when it tries to do the last 3 check on the back of the bed there is a grinding noise because it is already at the back of the bed after checking the first 6 points. Any idea why this is happening. Before I start the print if I do a home key and the hot end goes to the left of the bed and the Z axis looks good, but the bed does not move to the front. I can move the Y axis manually. I read on Robo support that you should not have the MatterControl bed leveling turned on, they said that the bed leveling is controlled by the firmware, can some one verify this. Is this the screen under configuration section in MatterControl?

Also why do some prints do a 9 point check and other do a 3 point check for bed leveling.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The 3 point check was a part of MatterControl that has since been removed. Their theory was that you have two different offsets for the switches and that you can't reliably detect the 9 points.

I think RoBo finally convinced them that was nonsense and the newest version of mattercontrol returns to the 9 point. As far as I know you still do the 3 point leveling with paper to determine your Z offset.

If you send G28 and then G29 in terminal does it repeat the issue?

3. Robert Choban

The printer is down until Sunday, I will try the G28 & G29 when I get it put back together. What do the g28 & g29 commands do and where do you want me to enter these commands, Not sure what you mean by terminal, sorry I not really all that good at using matter control, still learning.

Any idea's on why the 9 point leveling starts in the center instead of at the front of the bed.

4. Robert Choban

A few more questions about how the Y axis works
    1. with the printer turned off does it hurt the bed or bed aliment if you physically move it by hand
    2. same as above, but with the printer turned on and connected to MatterControl can I physically move the bed
    3. When doing the home all command the hotend moves to the far left, when facing the front of the Robo, the Z axis drops down just above the bed, but nothing happens with the Y axis. The bed does not move to the front of the Robo, should it move to the front left side of the Robo????
    4. When the print starts up, the 9 point check starts wherever the bed is at, if the bed is in the center that is where the check starts and after it does 6 of the check it is all the way to the back of the bed.
    5. By manually moving the bed, by hand, did I screw something up. I will move the bed if I need to put new tape on or to pry something off the bed.

5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

It's been a minute since the last time I used MatterControl, so I'm going to do a terrible job at explaining this from memory. I'll give it a shot though. In one of the rightmost tabs, there's an EEPROM button, to the left of that there's a button that says something that should give you an idea that that's where you can go to see commands that are being given to the printer. Like View Commands or Console or something like that. Here you can see every command that the printer is being given. At the bottom, there is a text field you can type into. Just type the command in there and it will send it to the printer.

1. AFAIK, the only time it would actually hurt it if you moved it by hand is if the steppers were active and you really forced it to move. If applying just a little pressure moves it, you're fine, but you might throw off where the printer thinks the y axis is and need to re-home.
    2. ^^^
    3. With to RoBo 3D logo facing you and the USB on the right side of the printer, the extruder homes to the left side of the smooth rods, then the bed moves away from you to the back of the printer, then the threaded rod spins up to move the extruder up, then down until one of the autolevel switches are disengaged, then back up just a smidge to reengage it.
    4. I think mine always homes to these locations ^^^, then moves to the center of the bed, touches the bed, the does the rest of the points in the following order, then goes back to the center to start printing
    ______
    | 7 8 9 |
    | 4 5 6 |
    | 1 2 3 |
    ----------
    5. If I need to move the bed after printing has been initiated, I'll usually use either my Smart LCD Controller or software to move it exactly XX mm, then I'll move it back exactly XX mm. If it's not printing, I'll move it by hand, then re-home it and everything's back to normal.

6. Robert Choban

I'm having a problem trying to get my hotend to home to the correct location. At this point I'm not even sure what the correct position is.

I am using a XXL controller.

When facing the front of the Robo printer.
    When I dial in the X axis to zero the hotend is at the far left of the bed.
    When I dial in the Y axis to zero the hotend is at the center of the bed.
    When I dial in the Z axis to zero the hotend is just touching the bed.
    Is this what I should see????

When I do a Auto home on the controller the hot end goes to the back of the bed and is in the center of the bed.

I then tried to print something and when it goes to do it 9 point check, instead of starting in the front of the bed, it starts in the middle and by the time it get to doing the last 3 checks it is to far back and just makes a clicking noise.
    After I cancel the print, I try to move the bed forward on the Z axis using the XXL it won't budge, however the bed will move backward.

When I restart the printer the INFO screen on the XXL shows the X 0 and the Y 0 and the Z 000.00

I'm not sure what I have done to screw this printer up, I need some help

7. Robert Choban

Ok new outcome, I just did a Auto home using the xxl controller and now the bed move forward and backward on the Y axis. Not sure what that means, but at least the bed will know move in both direction. Also after the Auto home the hot end was move to the back of the bed and in the center.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Send M119 in terminal

9. Robert Choban

do I need to be in mattercontrol to do this, can I send it from the xxl

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No. Anything that can be used to communicate to the printer can be used

11. Robert Choban

I sent the M119 it say end Z open, X opent, V triggered

12. Robert Choban

Looks like a V maybe a Y, I'm using mattercontrol to send to the printer, is there an easier program MatterContol has a problem with my video driver, if I open up a pop up window and then close it down it hangs up MatterControl, I have to close it down and then reopen the app. MatterControl knows about the problem. I connected to the terminal in mattercontrol seeing a lot of M105 messages.

#12 Robert Choban, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
  13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like repetier-host personally

Y triggered means there's a problem with your connector.

2 people like this.
  14. Robert Choban

Could you explain a little more, what connector, what should I be looking at. Will I have to take something apart???

15. Robert Choban

If I download repetier-host will it work with the current firmware I have running on my printer ROBO3DR1AUTOV1, or do I need to download new firmware?

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It will work fine with your firmware.

17. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

When I run M119 it says Z Triggered X triggered Y triggered. My Y axis won't home and when I do a home all it just moves +10

18. Robert Choban

I'm waiting for a reply from mike or someone who can help point me in some direction to fix my problem, will probably have to wait until tomorrow

19. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

Does your y axis just move +10 when you do a home?

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Robert,
    Mike is correct. It looks like your Y limit switch has a broken wire or problem with the connector at the RAMPS side. Possibly the wire is broken under the shrink tubing at the switch. That switch is configured as normally closed (NC) so if the wire is broken somewhere the software will think the limit switch has been triggered. You can test this by pulling the connector and testing continuity through the switch. It should be a short circuit (0 ohms) when the switch is not pressed. It should be an open circuit when the switch is pressed (limit is triggered).

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.