1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

1nxtmonster, when I do a home my Y axis does not move at all, move X and Z axis both move to the correct position. After I do my home I can move my Y axis forward and backward, but if I start a print when it goes to do the 9 point check, it will start in the center of the back instead of the front.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

@SteveC explained what I was talking about very well. If your Y axis reports triggered no matter where it is (ie not at home) then it means there's an issue with your Y end stop connection

@1nxtmonster your issue is a symptom of running the wrong firmware where the Z_Endstop_Inversion is set to true.

3. Robert Choban

Where do I locate my Y end stop, is it under the bed or under the Robo chassi

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

lift up the bed and you will see a switch that the Y axis contacts for the endstop.

If there's a wire damage there then that's the issue.

Otherwise you need to look under the printer and find the Y endstop wire and make sure it's connected:

5. Robert Choban

Mike do you just lift the bed straight up, no screws to loosen, are there magnets that hold the bed down, what about the wiring for heating the bed, as you can see I'm worried about damaging something on the bed.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you have an R1 with smooth rod rails then you just lift the bed up, it's held on by magnets yes.

The wiring should have enough slack and potentially there's a connector there you can disconnect to remove the bed easily

7. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

My Y axis switch wiring was faulty. the connector on the end had fallen out and would only intermittently make contact.

8. Robert Choban

1nxtmonster, thanks for the update, did you have to remove the bed to get to the Y-axis switch.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10. Robert Choban

Sorry, for asking the question, I just wanted to know what 1nxtmonster did. I'll try not to bother you again.

#30 Robert Choban, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  11. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

I turned the printer on its side, took off the bottom plate, and tested the cable that went from the y switch under the bed to the board. The connecter was not soldered properly on and would lose connection when the wire bent/moved at all (verified this with a multimeter). I then resoldered the wire on and tested it. It worked beautifully.

2 people like this.
  12. Robert Choban

1ntmonster, thanks for that update.

13. Robert Choban

Problem update: Remove the bed and saw there was a broken wire on the Y axis limiter switch. re-soldered the switch everything is working again. Thanks for everyone's help.
    You were right Mike when you said "Yes. I already said this, this isn't rocket science man, just pull the bed up and look at the switch wires". Sorry again for bothering you, but with everything I read on this forum about the problems people are having I just get a little worried about doing anything with this printer that may cause another problem somewhere else. We did find one thing interesting, we had tape on the bed so when 4we put the bed back on, we put it on backwards. The writing on the bed was facing the wrong way. The printer worked but when moving the bed to the back it would go back to far and make a grinding noise. We switched it around and now everything is working.
    We are having some problems with printing the calibration cube, see attached file. I will be opening another post in the printing section, I'm calling it "First layer print".

Attached Files:

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah sorry for coming down hard on you. He just had a completely different problem and was distracting you from the issue. I also have a thing about being second guessed :)

I knew what the problem was because just a day or 2 before I saw this someone else showed me a problem with the exact same symptoms, and they had the exact same point of failure.

The bed is designed to be removable, so I knew it wouldn't be a big deal if you pulled it up to look. I don't think it's even really possible to put it on backwards because it only has 3 magnets?

Glad you got it working. Looking at your skirt you're just a tiny bit too high still.

15. Robert Choban

Not sure what you mean by look at your skirt, still new at this stuff, should I try to do another re-calculation in MatterContol or does skirt mean something else.
    Also the newer Robo R1 units have 4 magnets holding the bed on.

16. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Good job. Those first layer lines should be touching though. Now you get to enjoy tweaking and calibrating

17. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

The skirt are the 3 lines you have surrounding the object. You might just need to make your first layer a bit closer to the bed..

18. Robert Choban

Thank Galaxius, now I getting exciting to start printing again.

2 people like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

+1. the layers should be flat (pressed on) to the surface, not looking like a bead of filament. Close though... good job.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Was the grinding before or after flipping the bed around? IE Does it grind with the text in the correct orientation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.