1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Yet another issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlienBeans, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I solve one problem and another one pops up. I just sent a job to the printer and it raises the bed, calibrates everything, and then Communication error. I loaded the file in CURA and have my printer connected via CAT6 cable to the network. I opened octoprint web interface and see this error:

Unhandled communication error
    The was an unhandled error while talking to the printer. Due to that OctoPrint disconnected. Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed

The printer just halts with that communication error. I have an option on the scree to RESET so I do that, and it says reset successful, but the only option I have is to return to the home screen and the printer remains in the same position. I have to use the menu to HOME the printer.

I submitted it to ROBO tech support. Their response was this: "
    Sorry to hear about your printing issues, please do not print via cable as this can cause unexpected results, please print from the web ui instead.
    Please check the pogo pins under the bed to make sure they are not stuck in the down position as this can cause the error if not making good contact."

I checked the pins under the bed and the 2 on the right, bounce back up as do the 2 in the middle. The 2 on the left however, appear to not move at all. I put the bed back on and noticed that after putting the bed in place that its really solid on the back left and two front corners, but on the back right, there is a little rocking in the plate if I press down lightly. I've removed it multiple times to try reseating it but I can't correct that little rocking area. Looking at it from the side, it appears the build plate is not fully "seated" in place but I'm not able to figure out what is preventing it from seating.

Arbioo likes this.
  2. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I'm very surprised I didn't get any responses on this, but some may like to know that I solved the problem. I spoke to Robo tech support and we isolated the problem to the board located under the print bed. There are 6 pins underneath on a board. Those 6 pins have a spring loaded top so they bounce back up when pressed. Well, the two on the left side were stuck in the down position.

How I fixed it: Well, speaking with tech support (email actually), they recommended trying to pull the pins back up. What I ended up doing was using a very small pair of needle nose pliers and very carefully and gently turning the top of those two pins. Just a very small turn and they are springing up normally again. I fired up CURA and loaded the spool holder that Robo had send us (for the older filament spools) and the shaft is currently printing. I printed the base already. I'm excited its working again and even better, Robo is sending me a replacement board just in case. Thought I should share the fix in case anybody else has the same problem down the line.

Celtika, Arbioo and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear nobody with a r2 was able to lend a hand. One of us volunteer staff should be getting one soon so we will be able to lend a hand with future issues.

4. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

No worries. These are things we will all likely just have to learn together. Hopefully sharing my solution will help someone else in the future. We're all in this together. Happy Printing.

Arbioo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  5. Arbioo

Arbioo New Member

Im having the same problem.... thank you.. gonna give this a try...

AlienBeans likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Still too few people in the R2 community and of those none are folks who have been here a while (yet) and nobody else has had your exact problem (yet)

:)

Getting there. Thanks for following up with the details.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.