1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Axis Motor(s) problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by EllioneDHunter, Jan 18, 2016.

1. EllioneDHunter

EllioneDHunter New Member

My prints have perfect quality when printing on the X and Y axis but when the Z axis is being used, there's a weird click when it turns past a certain point. I can't figure out how to fix it since I've only just got this printer (used). I wouldn't mind buying another motor but I would prefer that I can fix it.

Additional info: This clicking makes my prints walls completely weak and liable to break just from removing it from the print bed due to raising it slightly with each jump. It also causes the prints to be extremely bigger than they are Z-axis wise. I made a fan holder that was supposed to be just over 1 inch on Z, but after the print finished, it came out at almost 2 1/2 inches on Z.

#1 EllioneDHunter, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you perhaps running the r1+ firmware by mistake?

3. EllioneDHunter

It's on ROBO3DR1V3, not sure what firmware is supposed to be on it or even fully sure if it's a plus model. Is there some way I can check and make sure it's an R1+ like the seller said? It came with a heated bed and E3D V6 Hotend.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No Robo comes with an E3Dv6.

There are other things to check, does it have integrated stepper/lead screw (no couplers) and does it have a quick release to remove the hotend from the X Carriage.

5. EllioneDHunter

He added the hotend, it does have couplers (the round thing at the base of the Z's?) and no quick release as far as I can tell.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Then it is not a PLUS

7. EllioneDHunter

That sucks, then is my firmware correct? I already ordered replacement motors, just in case. When printing it's fine at first then after a while it start clicking again

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Two possibilities, stepper driver may need adjustment, fan on bottom of the printer is either disconnected or not running. I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know about your firmware.

EllioneDHunter likes this.
  9. EllioneDHunter

I'm gonna try to replace the fan at the bottom. I reached under there and I can't really feel it.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That firmware is fine for a regular R1 (I do not know if it is the latest for a standard R1, but that is not really important)

11. EllioneDHunter

OMG, turns out the fan at the bottom wasn't wired correctly. I didn't know what I was doing and when I went to check on it being on while the power was on, it was never on since I didn't match the correct polarities. I feel like an airhead. I never turned it on and had the bottom up for me to see since I was scared I'd mess something up. Printed out a cable holder and it came out just short of perfect. Gonna do more test prints and see if it works now.
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is not a noisy fan and there is no real way most people would notice it (more so if it is not on).
    Why they didn't go with a 50mm or larger I don't know :)
    I guess if it works, it works.

13. EllioneDHunter

Printed out 4 feet one at a time for my R3D while I was at work, came out flawless. Big thanks to everyone and @WheresWaldo for figuring out what the problem was!