1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis no homing after changing board out to a Big Tree Tech skr 1.3 Board.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Josh Donesky, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Josh Donesky

Josh Donesky New Member

I just got this printer and upgraded the board to a Big Tree Tech SKR 1.3, but the dual z movement is screwy. I'm new to this, and not very savvy with the wiring and such. Can someone help? :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not personally familiar with the SKR board. You should be able to use a single Z driver for this printer -- there is no reason to use two (even Robo originally used a single one).

3. Josh Donesky

Josh Donesky New Member

Thank you for your response! Like I said, I am very knew at all of this.

I wasn't actually the one who installed the new board. I bought it from them as liquidation, Steal of a deal. But he didn't know how to program the printer and didn't want to learn how. I don't really know how either, but am willing to learn. Anything you can do to help would be so greatly appreciated!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Again -- no clue with using this board :)
    I have used RAMBO, RAMPS (1.4, 1.6) and even a couple of other single-board solutions.
    Looking at the diagram I only see one Z driver so if the two motors are not stepping correctly -- you may have a bad motor.
    You might want a better description of how they are not working (when I looked up "screwy" in my Z motor reference I am drawing a blank). Both motors not turning at all? Turning sometimes? Both motors turn at different speeds? You can see what is happening -- we can only read about it. Post a video perhaps (use Flickr or imagur since you can't post a video here and then post a link to it)

SKR.jpeg

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could be unrelated to the Z axis motors and drivers... maybe the Z axis limit switch is wired backwards (NC instead of NO) or not wired right. The firmware would also be a suspect since it is not running with the stock version (not with that board at least)

6. Josh Donesky

Josh Donesky New Member

Here is an error message I got when trying to print

Attached Files:

7. Josh Donesky

Josh Donesky New Member

What firmware do I need?

8. Josh Donesky

Josh Donesky New Member

Some pictures of the board wiring

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are you using a BL Touch? (another non-stock thing)

Looks OK but really without being able to put hands on it and trace everything there is not a lot we can add :)

If you are not using the BL Touch then I am guessing the firmware is incorrect. If you are using the BLTouch you might want to post in a thread dedicated to that sensor as most folks are not using it.

Here is and example: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/anyone-install-a-bltouch-on-their-robo.17376/

That way you might get the attention of someone who knows about it.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are going to want to use a version of Marlin that has been customized for that controller. The stock firmware is targeted for the Arduino Mega/RAMPS 1.4 that shipped with the printer. You could use the exact same version, but if you do not adjust the CONFIGURATION.H file to match your actual hardware -- it will not work well (or likely not work at all)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It can be a steep learning curve initially since 3D printing is still rather "raw" from a consumer stand-point.
    Take your time and you can get it working :)
    Sort the firmware and then look at the electrical bits if things are not working correctly.

Geof likes this.