1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis - precision and accuracy

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ziggy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Once tightened, if one received a unit with un-tightened belts, what issues arise? Not questioning you, just was lucky I guess in receiving a mostly to-spec unit.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Cost is generally the biggest deterrent since belts work really well and are low cost

High end pick and place machines use acme threaded rods on all axis

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Speed threaded rods can not move nearly fast enough

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Using threaded rod and a nut to move things is really the opposite of what it was designed for. The very purpose of the thread and nut design is to create enough friction to tighten up the nut and have it stay there. Backlash is irrelevant.

Of course the intent on the printer is to have the nut move freely with little friction and minimal backlash.

On a printer lubing up the rod and nut is really, really important. I'm using white lithium grease (ie bicycle grease) but I am not convinced it's the best lube.

better suggestions re lubing up the rod very welcome!!!

5. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I have been using this stuff. Specs are pretty good and it has been working well. Have only had to do one application so far.

DOW_44L_Tube_W.jpg

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Acme rods use round nuts to give multiple points of contact and very minimal backlash.

The reason z axis can get away with it is because gravity acts as the retaining force to prevent backlash. It doesn't really have anything to do with the friction.

White lithium grease is good

2 people like this.
  7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

White lithium is really all that is need no special heat spec required been using it since I got my printer in June without any issues

8. SoLongSidekick

Jerry from Robo3D recommended 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil, but I am pretty sure that is not what comes on the R1.

Who wants my nuts? :-D

[​IMG]

Picked these up and have way more than I'll ever use; so if anyone is going to make the upgrade to M8 threaded rods and wants a couple just let me know and I'll send them to you as long as you pay postage.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

M8-1.25? I'm interested in a couple

10. SoLongSidekick

Yeah probably should have specified, they are indeed M8-1.25.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I have now

- Replaced the wobbly couplers ( Jerry from Robo Support sent me replacements - thanks)

- Installed the 8mm, coarse thread, stainless threaded rods and the trimmed 8mm stainless nuts

- Flashed the firmware with 2560 steps/mm on the Z Axis to match the 1.25mm pitch of the rods

- Tweaked the torque setting of the Z Axis steppers so they work smoothly with the new rods.

- Installed the adjustable Z Axis stabilizers.

Below is a before and after print. These are different models but both were done in PLA at 0.2mm and with exactly the same Slic3r settings. I am not sure which part of the upgrade has given the most improvement - maybe all have helped.

Z Axis upgradea.jpg

2 people like this.
  12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

My Vote 90% wobbly couplers 10% Z axis stabilizers

2 people like this.
  13. SoLongSidekick

You're leaving out the threaded rod replacements Tesseract. I'd guess that was at least 25%. Gonna do that upgrade myself tomorrow.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

No I am not I do not think that mod actually does that much to affect printsfrom what I have seen and experienced the thread size and it layout dhould not have that much of an effect. Remember the thread rods is mainly used as a lifting force gravity moves things down the nut raises them. The smooth rod is by far more critical. In this case the couplers being out of round was the major cause and then I fall back on what I have seen in the the stability of the smooth rods is critical as well. If a person gets a printer and the base smoothrod support is broken or cracked the printer can be unusable and what has been recommended is to find a way to just temporarily fix it in place long enough to print another one or two and replace them . After that is done the change is significant and accurate prints can be made.The other aspect of the smoothrod is the upper end and adding a piece to fix that in place has also been seen to increase quality because it does increase teh stability of the smoothrod.

The threaded rod as I said produces mainly a lifting affect and many people who have implemented that mod have not seen any significant change some have seen some improvements but the improvements usually came along with other modifications as well as in this case couplers, threaded rods, and upper supports and I simply feel the couplers and the smoothrods supports did the work and if nothing had been done to the threaded rods I think you would have still seen the same improvement.

Identify what physical aspects will be altered that affect the print when this mod is done
    Actually I believe the same can be said about the change from .1, .2 or .3 in layer heights to the funky .1xxx, .2xxx and .3xxx. No one has been able to give me a logical reason why that does anything.

The process works by having a stepper motor make a set amount of steps to raise or lower the z axis a fixed amount period if a movement is required that is less than a full step there are micro steps that will adjust to get the distance as accurate as possible but how does setting a print height to any number over another affect a how this movement is calculated or done.

When people have issues sometime grasping at something that sounds like it could help actually makes people believe it helps when there is no real logic behind it.

I wish you luck if you do this mod but before doing any mod understand the working and know why it works if this can't be done then do not be disappointed if it doesnot change anything.

I am not against mods like this as all the information about them may not be available and if something new is known to happen I will embrace it but I need some solid facts about mods before I do them.

15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I agree with Tesseract, but if you are going to make the change it would be great to have a before and after experiment with the same parameters.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Putting aside any differences between the number of steps to raise a 5/16 versus 8mm rod and any possible rounding errors in the firmware.....

The main reason I changed to 8mm is that the couplers are designed for 8mm rod. If you use a 8mm coupler for a 5/16 threaded rod (OD 7.75mm) you either have to centre the rod accurately using some kind of packing or the 5/16 rod will be off centre and wobble. On the stock Robo, teflon tape was used in an effort to centre the 5/16 rods and avoid having to overtighten the coupler.

A metre length of 8mm stainless rod is < $7. I didn't see much point in sticking with 5/16.

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I could see that it is a valid reason to make the couplers more secure and make it fit properly in the coupler

18. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Sorry, this is my first post on the forum.

When I first received my printer, I had difficulty getting a decent printout.

After reading the great feedbacks from Jerry @ Robo3D, Tesseract, Mike Kelly, and many others, I was able to tighten the motors, belts, bed level mod, Z smooth rod stablizer mod and those improved my print quality greatly. Thank you to all those contributed to this forum.

Somehow even with the above mod, I still have the horizontal ripped lines like Ziggy's printout prior to his mod.

However, after updating my printer with the latest Robo 3D firmware. The ripped lines seemed to be gone. Please see the below attached photo.

I never could have achieved this smoothness prior to this. I was thinking of the 8mm threaded rod mod before, but now it looks like I do not need to go with the metric 8mm threaded mod at all.

Attached Files:

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am glad you got good prints your last line is amazingly accurate just because mod exists does not mean it is the absolute end or even if it in any way correct the biggest thing and I think you understand it now is at time and incorrect fix can be put in place along with something else and it can be mistakenly identified as being the correct answer I am glad you identified the real issue.

20. SoLongSidekick

So I finally finished up my Z axis metric upgrade and am having an issue. I have adjusted the torque on the drivers almost all the way up for the Z axis but it doesn't seem to help. When moving the Z axis up or down it travels fine for a couple millimeters but then starts skipping. Both the smooth and threaded rods are lubed beyond what's necessary so that's not to fault. What could be going on here? Short video of issue below:

Another thing I feel I should mention: when using my XXL LCD controller the steppers move fine, it is only when controlling them with MC that they trip out. ???