1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis Short when using Simplify3d

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dilemma, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

So i have been using simplify 3d ever since i purchased this printer. I began having issues with z axis being short shortly after buying it in matter control and simplify3d. So i updated the firmware in matter control to V3, now matter control prints perfectly. But simplify3d still prints short and not smooth either. Does anyone have any clue as to how i should go about fixing this issue?

Below are a couple pics of 20mm cubes The one on the right was done in Simplify3d and is a bit short and and the other on the left was done in matter control. and is the correct height and has a smoother surface.

pic1.jpg

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It could be because mattercontrol is storing the Z steps per mm in the EEProm so when you switch software it doesn't transfer.

Have you flashed your firmware?

It might also be the threaded rods are getting stiction and need lubrication. Or the stepper driver is over heating and needs sufficient cooling.

3. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

I did oil the threaded rods up with white lithium grease. I also flashed the firmware using the Arduino software using the steps described in the website firmware page. In matter control it says "Up to date" at the bottom when i connect to the printer and gives me the option to revert. As for the stepper drive i am not sure if it is overheating or not, but if it is, is there a reason why it would only have a problem when using simplify3d and not matter control? Im not realy sure what EEProm is so not sure how to go about that one.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure the Z steps per mm in the firmware matches what you had set in mattercontrol.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't know why one slicer would change things that much, meaning it's probably mechanical or firmware.

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Changing_EEProm_Settings

Make sure the fan on the bottom of the printer is getting sufficient cooling just to be sure.

If that doesn't work contact simplify3d. They support their product well.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just an FYI. Robo did not enable EEPROM writing in the firmware. There is no way for MatterControl or any other software to store its settings in EEPROM. The firmware would need EEPROM writing enabled in Configuration.h. So it can't be that, and writing to memory is erased every time the Arduino board is shut off (USB disconnected and Power OFF).

8. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

upload_2015-7-9_16-28-54.png upload_2015-7-9_16-29-17.png

Ok well thats stuff seems to match, im talking to a guy from Simplify3d right now ill see what he is thinking as well

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Their support rocks. They should be able to get you sorted.

10. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

So just an update. Turns out that the z driver was overheating more with simplify 3d than with the stock software? not sure why but either way after 8 or 9 more test cubes it completely fried (with a working fan). Anyways replaced the driver and did all the stuff with the z screws using the 3mm bearings and coupler adjustments using the lock tight (removable). And its printing fantastically. Only thing I am trying to figure out now is adding another fan maybe larger to help with cooling the z stepper area as the stock fan is not directly over the z stepper diver. As of right now i have it overhanging a table with a big fan plugged into the wall under it.

Thanks for all your help guys

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can add heatsinks to the steppers if you are really concerned about them over heating.

12. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

All the steppers currently have heat sinks, trying to wire another fan and mount it onto a block i made in the bottom of the robo now. =)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, mine did not come with heat sinks (the stepper motor, not the stepper drivers).
    If you already have the heat sinks on the motors then more fans :)

14. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

OHHH!!! you meant the motors, no those do not have heat sinks. i didnt even think the motors could be the issue! ill try that as well, cant hurt hah,

Thanks!

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you try printing lifter feet to improve the airflow to the Ramps cooling fan?

16. Dilemma

Dilemma New Member

Yup i sure did, that was one of the first things i tried to help with cooling after i realized it was still getting too hot in the z area

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Buy, MOAR fans is still probably a better idea. Vent them out the side of the Robo...