1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fan shroud?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Denys Dmytriyenko, Feb 25, 2014.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Printed your nozzle, looks beautiful. I have an E3D and it adds a bit of height so I think I might be OK on that end. Going to install it tonight and will report back.

[​IMG]

2. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

Sow how did it work out? Will it work ok on the stock printer?

3. SoLongSidekick

I have been more focused on getting my threaded rods replaced recently, but I plan to install it today since I am waiting on some stuff anyways.

I believe it has already been shown to be too tall for the stock hotend if I am not mistaken; about a page or two back someone installed it and it interfered with the build plate.

EDIT - Here is AxisLab's image. The E3D hotend has a bit more height to it so it should work with that, but not stock.
    [​IMG]

4. Patrick Elliott

I install this on my stock print head. It was a smidge to low. I hit the hinge area with a heat gun, pushed it down a bit, cooled it while holding it down, and remounted. works like a charm.

5. SoLongSidekick

Got it installed on my R1 and it looks nice. I have a problem though; the duct sits at an odd angle in relation to the X axis (horizontally). This obviously has something to do with the mounting holes being either printed off-center or cleaned poorly by me. Either way it is an easily fixable issue. Other than that it fits great with the E3D v5 hotend, as the E3D adds a bit of height.
    [​IMG]

6. SoLongSidekick

I have a question now, how do I control the fan with Matter Control? If I turn "Auto Cooling" on it seems to turn on and off intermittently, but I would like to have it on the entire time the extruder is doing its thing. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

You should be able to access the Slic3r filament settings within Matter Control. In Slic3r there is an "always on" setting in addition to "auto cooling". I have not tried Matter Control yet so I could be wrong though.

8. SoLongSidekick

Yeah so Galaxius your fan shroud performs beautifully. I was able to somehow print a rectangle with a rectangular cutout in the middle of it with no supports and zero sagging. I actually did it on accident; I was trying to adjust the supports in Slic3r to be extremely minimal and adjusted the parameters too much so it didn't print supports at all. I was shocked by the results; I will post a picture when I get home.

9. SoLongSidekick

Here's the result of having a build plate fan shroud (Galaxius' design):
    [​IMG]

So yeah I took a dremel to it because I printed it a bit too wide; should have taken the picture before but oh well. Anyways, it was oriented the same way it is in the picture. There is another hole (circular) that came out perfectly but that's not nearly impressive as this horizontal rectangle. No sagging whatsoever.

10. SoLongSidekick

I wanted to report back on the incredible results I have gotten from Galaxius' shroud. Pictured below is a dock for my Moto X that has a USB cable channel that runs right through the middle of the bottom. In this picture I have sliced off two of the three bottom nubs with a MaxWax for better visibility. This was done without support or modifying any settings. There is literally zero sag in this bridging and it looks incredible. Never thought this was really possible.

http://imgur.com/o8w205c

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

SoLongSidekick, that's awesome. I've been having issues which I've partially tracked down to the stock hobbed bolt, I have a replacement from James on the way. I'm hoping to address my other temperature and ozzing issues with the new hexagon hotend. So the shroud height is good for the R3D. I'll finish my revised slimline design, which I'll have to revise again now so it'll fit with the hexagon hotend. I'll also allow for the shroud hitting the robo3d case on the x axis. I'm really impressed by the results you've gotten.

12. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

I've been very busy lately and not much active on the forum. But just wanted to report that I have been using this design for couple months with 2 fans and shrouds - front and back. Works great! Can provide some photos later :)

Unfortunately, I didn't have ABS and ended up printing in PLA and recently I was experimenting with T-Glase and Nylon and had my heated bed cranked up, which resulted in one of the shrouds getting deformed and no longer flat on the bottom... I'll probably re-print it later in ABS.

2 people like this.
  13. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I can't wait to se your redesign Galaxius, I had to finally take the original shroud off and am just using a plain fan now.
    I managed to get it just high enough that I wouldn't throw the nuts when homing z but it ended being too much of a pain on large prints that if I got even the slightest curling/lifting or small glob, the shroud would hit it and either break the part from the bed or skip the belt.

Keeping my eye out for the revision :)

14. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Here are some pictures I promised before... :)
    These were taken before one of the shrouds got warped a bit on the bottom due to being too close to extra hot bed.

shroud1.JPG shroud2.JPG shroud3.JPG shroud4.JPG shroud5.JPG shroud6.JPG shroud7.JPG

4 people like this.
  15. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

Thanks Galaxius for this great mod. It certainly prints beautifully, I made this one in lum orange ABS. It's amazing how well this works :) I think this should be one of the first modifications to anyone's Robo.

View attachment 3115 View attachment 3116

Attached Files:

16. Galaxius

Thanks Anoble66. I see you're using it with the E3D, that's great. Just so people are aware it does fit with the stock hotend but only just and may require some massage. It won't fit with the Hexagon hotend, I'm working on a new design for that one at the moment which should work with all hotends, the hexagon is 10.6mm shorter than the stock hotend.

17. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

i was just about to ask if it fitted the hexagon, thanks

18. Galaxius

I've just installed my Hexagon with great success, I'll post details and pics to the Hexagon thread. Designing a fan duct for this thing is going to be challenging if I want to reuse the mounting bracket.

2 people like this.
  19. Galaxius

Well here's the prototype. I've spent many a night reviewing fan duct designs and have refined my original design. This duct is angle adjustable, height adjustable, and fits the Hexagon mounted directly to the X carriage no sweat. It requires no screws for mounting to the X carriage, though I will provide a screw securable bracket as well incase it's needed. The duct is easily printable without support and the bracket requires minimal support. I'll start testing it in the coming days and should complete testing in the coming week or 2 if no major issues are encountered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Love the shroud. I am using the one for the older E3D.