1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fan shroud?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Denys Dmytriyenko, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Nice! Especially considering the reduced clearance. Quick question - can it change the angle, like your original design?

2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Do you notice any back pressure? Last shroud I tried I thought would be perfect but I could feel the air blowing backwards from the fan so I scrapped it. Still running a naked fan.

I'd love to test this one too.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Haven't noticed any.

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

The height and angle can be adjusted. The height by where you put the bolt hole in the duct and the angle by how the duct attached to the bracket.

5. Galaxius

I never noticed any back pressure with my old design but it is something I'm worried about with this design. I have yet to test it, I only got the mounting figured out last night. I'll keep you all updated as i complete my testing.

6. Galaxius

Unfortunately the initial test demonstrated a lot of direct back pressure. I'm in the process of redesigning the fan intake to try direct the airflow more towards to outlet. I may also have to increase the initial intake depth. On the upside it fits and looks beautiful.

7. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Have you thought of using a radial fan instead? Those fans are designed to push air through constrictions.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Don't be too quick to throw the design away. In my experience many fans are too strong and need to be run much lower than 100%. For example I run my current fan at something like 40% max for PLA. So efficiency may not be an issue. Noise might be a problem though.

9. Galaxius

I'm not abandoning my design, just tweaking it :)
    A radial fan design would be an interesting project given they're bulkier and their exhaust is off center.

10. AxisLab

11. Galaxius

Yeah, have seen that one. My challenge is making a duct that will work for the Hexagon but I want it to be adjustable so it can be used for the E3D, standard hotend, or any other. My screwless attachment is essentially my original bracket design with the screw tab removed. Because of it's designed width it can attach to either side of the x carriage allowing for a dual duct setup, which people have done with my original duct design. This revised universal adjustable duct is a good challenge :)

3 people like this.
  12. 69charger

69charger New Member

2 people like this.
  13. Galaxius

I've made a huge number of changes to my prototype but it now requires support material to print the duct (just for the flat area that the bolt hole is in). I'm aiming to clip this bad boy on over the weekend to test it out for back pressure and air flow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. AxisLab

You have my attention...

2 people like this.
  15. Galaxius

Still too much back pressure. Time to design another prototype. I will make this work, I will...

16. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Very nice design. Maybe you can make the opening a bit larger to reduce the back pressure? How strong is your fan?

17. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Another option may be to shift the bolt holding position to the top to create more space in the middle for the fan? Not sure if that will affect your adjustment of the fan duct.

18. Galaxius

@Paul Yeh, the fan is a 9 blade fan like the stock fan. I'm going to increase the ducting volume and the opening. I hadn't thought about moving the mount higher, I'll investigate that as well.

19. Galaxius

I'll get this up on thingiverse this weekend. I had to make some concessions to reduce the back pressure. This will easily fit with the hexagon, front and/or back of x carriage, and is angle adjustable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. Galaxius