1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Completely different communication method. I believe the LCD's use a serial transmission which is much more vulnerable to the things Steve described.

I, unfortunately, don't know enough to properly describe why it works differently. But they're just two very different means of accomplishing signal transmission.

2. collin

collin New Member

Huh well i just placed and order for an xxl hopefully someone will figure it out.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

In reply to the network cable photo, the difference is impedance terminated pairs of drivers and receivers which are designed for exactly for that cable's configuration and length. Those cables weren't just thrown together. Someone spent a lot of time designing and simulating the entire PCB/cable/IC system. Trust me on this. Again, you can try whatever scheme but it would be bad to drop some bits in the middle of a long print. I think the best be would be to separate out the SD card signals and take care of them properly.

2 people like this.
  4. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

@collin
    Just don't order those cables from the link I provided earlier. Don't want you to spend so much money and find out it doesn't work. :)

5. collin

collin New Member

dont worry i didnt ha ha

6. collin

collin New Member

thats so interesting im a mech eng. and that is all gibberish to me. If anyone figures this out id kiss em on the face.

p.s. can you have the controller and the computer hooked up at the same time?

7. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Good. Now it's hunting game for the post with the extra length cable for the LCD display. :)

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Another idea is to cut out the SD card signals close the the RAMPS board and rig up another SD card slot there like the one that now comes with the printer. Then extend the LCD and rotary encoder lines to wherever they seem to work. This would be some work but possible.

3 people like this.
  9. collin

collin New Member

i wouldn't be apposed to it, combined with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111222723359?lpid=82

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I'm and EE and if you look hard enough you can find mechanical analogs for all of this ;).

Yes the they work fine together but you have to be a bit careful not to try doing something from both at the same time. For instance don't give it a command from Repetier or MatterControl and then do something else with the LCD before it finishes. I have not hooked the PC to my printer in months other than to upgrade the firmware. The XXL does everything I need.

#130 SteveC, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  11. collin

collin New Member

Ya that sounds fantastic i hate being tethered to my printer when doing homework (still in school) and until l recently my prints weren't consistent enough to be sd card operated ya know. but know with auto bed leveling im in good shape. ANYWAYS im going to give it the old college try on this one. i want ot moutn it on the back side of my printer right where you have it but on the back. you think itll fit?

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

That looks good. It will be some work to figure out the pinout but you could definitely do it. Notice that that cable is only 18 inches long. It's too bad that the RAMPS SD card connector also has the rotary encoder knob's signals on it too. You need to tease them apart.

Note that on the XXL schematic I posted above pin 5 is indeed a ground pin. You will also need these:

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f6/RAMPS1.4schematic.png
    http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/c/ca/Arduinomega1-4connectors.png

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

At the risk of adding far too much detail.....

The Arduino/Ramps and SD Card electrical/protocol interface is SPI as described here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus#References

SPI is a very common standard bus interface and is implemented in most SD Cards. (Note SD Cards also have a much higher speed interface used for cameras etc).

There is no "standard" for the maximum length of an SPI bus. It depends on bus speed, cabling quality, SPI bus drivers etc

The Arduino SPI default speed is 4MHZ but can be reduced if necessary to allow for greater SPI bus lengths. http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SPI

I have had SPI working between an Arduino Mega and SD Card over 50cms on flat ribbon cable with no problems.

3 people like this.
  14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No such thing! thanks for the detail

3 people like this.
  15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Collin, make sure to run it as-received before trying anything. RRD has pretty good QC, but I've had a few (probably less than 1%) of these returned for odd electrical issues. Some were simply DOA, but one was exhibiting a symtpom where the print head would just start wandering away a few hours into the print. It would be awfully hard to trouble shoot an issue like that after you've made a bunch of mods to account for the cable issue.

3 people like this.
  16. collin

collin New Member

thanks matt :)

3 people like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Ziggy, Collin wanted to run over 90cm. I wonder how slow the gcode can be transmitted before the print starts to degrade?

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Looking at the Marlin baud rates it looks like you can slow down the SD data rate quite a bit before problems crop up. The default is USB data rate is 250k baud. Collin - you would need to modify the firmware for this.

3 people like this.
  19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Matt is correct the cable lengths are not supposed to be extended the The whole things runs on via the USB 5V and with that amount of power data gets dropped in a fairly significant fashion or so I have been told it was the one drawback I found

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Any voltage drop below 5v "might" cause the LCD display some grief. But it won't materially affect the SD Card reading as the card and SPI bus operates at 3.3v from a low drop out regulator on the LCD Display PCB.